I Gave Up ! Correct 2 cycle oil percentage ????

GoldenMotor.com

David Robinson

Nov 11, 2011
illinois
After spending 24 hrs assembling onex genesis bike and china motor kit , i took it to an experienced guy who have built them before . chain broke , but i had it going . nothing fit right . But it looks nice ! engine said 69cc , but papers said 49cc . i ordered 49cc ?????? Also i used opti 2 2 cycle oil 50: 1 ratio ,m mixed with gas . Is that ok ?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I thought I'd be carefully mixing in oil- turns out here's what I do- and I use my bike almost daily for almost five miles or so-

I put gas in the tank, and then a small dollop of oil from the plastic container- I found that when I was trying to get about a 30 to 1 mix, that eventually the oil seemed to be accumulating in the system a little bit- i was dripping a lot out the exhaust-

so now the two builds are all broke in I just wing it, and I can now tell both by how the bike is running and by how much oil drips out the exhaust- I usually try for none-

I put in a minimum but enough so it seems it will lubricate the motor- I get maybe 8 or 10 smaller tank fills out of an 8 oz oil container. No problems yet. I'm never smoking or hearing any metallic noise like there's not enough.

With that new lightweight 415 trike chain rolling smooth, my 50 build was purring along smoothly today again!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're going to use Opti-2, why are you using it @50:1?

That's too much oil. Use Opti at the recommended mix ratio and don't listen to those who don't use it or don't agree with the 100:1 ratio.

If you're using a standard 2 cycle air cooled oil, then start with a 24:1 mix and move down to a 32:1 mix after a couple of gallons.
Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
After spending 24 hrs assembling onex genesis bike and china motor kit , i took it to an experienced guy who have built them before . chain broke , but i had it going . nothing fit right . But it looks nice ! engine said 69cc , but papers said 49cc . i ordered 49cc ?????? Also i used opti 2 2 cycle oil 50: 1 ratio ,m mixed with gas . Is that ok ?
I'd suggest you follow the instructions on the container:

"A single mix for all 2-cycle engines".

One oz mixes w/100 oz of gasoline.....

One gallon mixes w/100 gallons of gasoline.....

One liter mixes w/100 liters of gasoline.....

The ratio is 100 parts gasoline to one part Opti-2 oil.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I thought I'd be carefully mixing in oil- turns out here's what I do- and I use my bike almost daily for almost five miles or so-

I put gas in the tank, and then a small dollop of oil from the plastic container- I found that when I was trying to get about a 30 to 1 mix, that eventually the oil seemed to be accumulating in the system a little bit- i was dripping a lot out the exhaust-

so now the two builds are all broke in I just wing it, and I can now tell both by how the bike is running and by how much oil drips out the exhaust- I usually try for none-

I put in a minimum but enough so it seems it will lubricate the motor- I get maybe 8 or 10 smaller tank fills out of an 8 oz oil container. No problems yet. I'm never smoking or hearing any metallic noise like there's not enough.

With that new lightweight 415 trike chain rolling smooth, my 50 build was purring along smoothly today again!
Brother, you have to be more accurate. Too much oil and you waste $$, affect performance and muck up your engine. Too little oil and you affect performance and burn up your engine.

Here's a tip I use. Decide on how much fuel you'll need on a fillup. I like to fill 3 quarts in a 4-liter tank, so there's little or no spill and slosh. I filled exactly 1.92oz into a measuring syringe for 50:1. Then I scratched a heavy mark on the syringe, so I wouldn't have to look at the tiny graduated marks again. So whenever I need oil, I fill the syringe to the heavy mark.

My next fillups will be w/Opti-2 oil, so I scratched another mark halfway down the syringe.

Accurate oil mixes is a must.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
From what I've read around here, you're probably okay at 50:1, but there are (many) others who know more (or better) than I do.

I picked up a cheap glass measuring cup where I got my 'bike' gas can. It's marked to 135ml, the can holds 5 liters, 25ml per liter is 40:1. I fill the cup with Amsoil synthetic 2-stroke oil and dump it in my bike's can, then add 5 liters of fresh juice from the station to it.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
From what I've read around here, you're probably okay at 50:1, but there are (many) others who know more (or better) than I do.

I picked up a cheap glass measuring cup where I got my 'bike' gas can. It's marked to 135ml, the can holds 5 liters, 25ml per liter is 40:1. I fill the cup with Amsoil synthetic 2-stroke oil and dump it in my bike's can, then add 5 liters of fresh juice from the station to it.
To stay away from glass I use a plastic Rx bottle that has a screw top. Some of my Rx come in them. I mark the bottle with a magic marker for 1 gal or 2 gals. I can take the bottle with me and should I need it it's handy. I'm sure a number of Drugstores have them, I get my Rx from CVS. They are a translucent orange color. The bottle is 3.5" tall and 2" in diameter. I also pop the child proof ring off.

Last edited:

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I found this while doing some research on oils. It's not completely scientific, but it's interesting for a couple reasons. The engine was spinning a propeller, and rpm differences show as power increase or decrease. Opti-2 was not used in this test, however the only 100-1 test showed piston scuffing, whereas none showed in any other test. I'd look at that as a headsup. No extra power, but extra wear. The most power was @ the beginning of a test @ 32-1
http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/RC Aero - 2 Stroke Oil Testing Summary.pdf

If nothing else, that was a real tough test, hours running at full throttle. Nascar engines only run 3 hours and are torn down and rebuilt or sold. This sucker endured quite a beating.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Go to your local liquor store, and wait outside for a drunk to come out with one of those tiny little plastic bottles of liquor. It holds 50ml. After the drunk finishes off the bottle in one gulp, he will toss it, so you take it, wash it out and fill it with 2 stroke oil.

Dumping a full 50 ml bottle of oil into a full 2 L gas tank will give you a ratio of 40:1 (2000ml/50 ml=40)

If you don't fill the gas tank all the way, then that's better, your ratio will drop. If you put in 1.5 L and dump in 50ml of oil, your ratio is 30:1.

I collect these bottles, clean them and mount them on my builds as an emergency oil bottle, so that you can fill up at any gas station, and toss the contents of the bottle in, (of course, do all this with the petcock closed) , shake, an be on your way. When you get home, refill the bottle with oil and remount to bike until next emergency.

Last edited:

dakota47l1

Oct 2, 2011
st louis mo.
Go to your local liquor store, and wait outside for a drunk to come out with one of those tiny little plastic bottles of liquor. It holds 50ml. After the drunk finishes off the bottle in one gulp, he will toss it, so you take it, wash it out and fill it with 2 stroke oil.

Dumping a full 50 ml bottle of oil into a full 2 L gas tank will give you a ratio of 40:1 (2000ml/50 ml=40)

If you don't fill the gas tank all the way, then that's better, your ratio will drop. If you put in 1.5 L and dump in 50ml of oil, your ratio is 30:1.

I collect these bottles, clean them and mount them on my builds as an emergency oil bottle, so that you can fill up at any gas station, and toss the contents of the bottle in, (of course, do all this with the petcock closed) , shake, an be on your way. When you get home, refill the bottle with oil and remount to bike until next emergency.
where i'm from you would get busted for an "open container"!!!LOL

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
where i'm from you would get busted for an "open container"!!!LOL
Go to your local pharmacy and get a 2oz (30ml) vial for liquids. It'll be perfect for 32:1 ratio. If they won't give you one for free, offer to pay 25 cents for it.

Tip: don't add it to tank first because it'll go straight into your carb. Shut petcock, add 1/2 tank fuel, add oil while trying to pour it to left side of tank (tilt bike at a slight angle to accomplish this), add remaining 1/2 of tank, recap, gently move bike side to side to mix-starting engine will allow engine vibes to thoroughly mix the oil with the fuel. Have fun!

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you add 30ml of oil to 2 liters (2000ml) of fuel, the ratio is:
2000/30 = 67:1
I think you mean to add two of those 30ml vials, then the ratio would be 33:1

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Go to your local pharmacy and get a 2oz (30ml) vial for liquids. It'll be perfect for 32:1 ratio. If they won't give you one for free, offer to pay 25 cents for it.

Tip: don't add it to tank first because it'll go straight into your carb. Shut petcock, add 1/2 tank fuel, add oil while trying to pour it to left side of tank (tilt bike at a slight angle to accomplish this), add remaining 1/2 of tank, recap, gently move bike side to side to mix-starting engine will allow engine vibes to thoroughly mix the oil with the fuel. Have fun!
LOL, yes, I forgot to shut the petcock & poured oil in first. Like you said, it went straight into the filter & carb. The engine started to smoke and cough a few seconds after start up. I had to plug the gas cap, then flip the bike upside down. When the bad mix flowed back into the tank, I shut the petcock and righted the bike. The engine started roughly, then cleared in a couple minutes. Unfortunately, the mix ratio was unknown, so the tank was drained and refilled w/proper mixture.

I keep one oz of Opti-2 in an 18 oz aluminum fuel bottle in its cage. When the tank is almost empty, I shut the petcock, pour in the oil and pedal to the station. By the time I get there, the oil is partially mixed, then perfectly mixed when filled. Sometimes I pedal away for a block, then start up.

Sometimes I just start up and motor away. No adverse engine effects, and spark plug color is cocoa-brown.