My Second Jag Build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I never would have guessed that to be a rattle can paint job. That shows what can be done with patience and skill. Who needs a big compressor, paint gun, etc. when you can get these kinds of results? Wow. I'm not much of a painter, but between your tips, a thread Barely posted some time ago and some tips from fasteddy, I'm determined to make this bike have better paint than the last one. There is a thread on my current build I started a few days ago called Firebird, Silverbear's Worksman Cruiser, but it is in the early stages awaiting parts back ordered at Pirate Cycle. At the moment I'm converting an old travel trailer previously used by my brother and me as a storage catch all, into a bike shop. Lots of trips to the dump, but pretty soon I'll have a place out of the weather to work. Cream colored Electra tires came today, new black Wald cruiser fenders came a few days ago so once I repaint the frame a cream color it will start coming together more quickly. This one is to be a cruiser, old looking, but not a board track tribute. If I can make my paint job look half as good as yours I'll be happy! I got an aluminum $20.00 damaged 17 foot Grumman canoe today and discovered the damage is at each side in the middle, leaving two ends to make into sidecar bodies. Woohoo! This stuff is such fun, eh Tom?
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Jeezum Tom, that's some great rattle can work, the mask lines super crisp & clean! I'ma defo gonna steal the "Top Flite Lustr-Coat clear, model airplane paint" idea as even the ceramic Dupli-Color Engine Enamel isn't holding up to the [insert random expletives here] ethanol as well as I'd hoped...

Nice work man - MORE PICS PLOX (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
o_O

Jeezum Tom, that's some great rattle can work, the mask lines super crisp & clean! I'ma defo gonna steal the "Top Flite Lustr-Coat clear, model airplane paint" idea as even the ceramic Dupli-Color Engine Enamel isn't holding up to the [insert random expletives here] ethanol as well as I'd hoped...

Nice work man - MORE PICS PLOX (^)
Geoff,
I like vinyl electrical tape for masking. I cut it into thin strips for tight curves. It lays nicely over compound curves and comes off clean. After everything is dry I sand the trim line with 400 wet paper running it with the line so you don't drag opposing colors together. I've tried liquid masking, it works great but it is so darn expensive that for large work it is cost prohibitive. $17.00 for a four ounce bottle, and 4 oz doesn't go too far. 3M electrical tape is $.49 a roll :)
I'll have this thing back together by the weekend. More pix then. Thanks for the compliments.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... I've tried that bfore and had adhesion problems so I've stuck (omg bad joke - didn't mean it) with the ol' green masking tape... but - it was ages ago and it musta just been junky electrical tape *shrug*

Obviously this means I'm gonna hafta try it again, thanks fer the tip!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As promised, I got this thing back together today.
Amazing what a few dollars in sandpaper, paint and some effort will do to an old Target Jaguar.
It came out okay and looks better than the factory blue and silver but the basic bike is the same.
The Yamaha tank blends in and until I find some Triumph decals, the Schwinn logo on the chain guard will suffice. Hope you guys like this. I'm satisfied.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks great, Tom. One of the things I like best about it is that it's different and kind of evolved. What it looks like is 2door's bike, one of a kind.
SB
I take that as a compliment, SB. Thanks.
It is sort of an odd looking bike. Somewhere in there was supposed to be the cafe racer look but it sort of got lost. I'm building a new seat for it that will have the little turtledeck behind the cushion indicative of the cafe bikes. Maybe that will help. I'm sort of tired of sanding and painting but Skjjoe was in town and dropped by a couple of days ago and brought me the sweetest little fuel tank. It is about 1/2 the size of the one on this bike but the same shape and I'm gonna put it on my other Jaguar. That means a 3 color paint job...yuk!
Tom