chain and tire problem!

GoldenMotor.com

squire

Nov 22, 2008
tampa
well im running into a small problem with chain rubbing on the side of the tire.
i solved it a little buy having the tire put on at at a small angle to the drive side, but not sure how safe this will be, any way i could solve this, if not i guess i could run smaller tires(but the 2.125 look so nice!) any body know where i could get some nice 26x1.95 or 2 at? hmm;......

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
try sweet skins from universal cycle....my first build had the same problem....went with a 2.125 steel rim with 12 gauge spokes and a 195 tire worked great...nashbar has great deals on tires...this is the time to buy...good luck with the build and keep that engine in tight...dennis

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your rear sprocket. Some of them (most) have a dished profile. The sprocket teeth are offset to one side. If your sprocket offsets toward the wheel you might get clearance by flipping the sprocket over putting the teeth outboard but watch for seatstay clearance when you do that. If that becomes a problem you might get away with spacing the wheel away from the frame with a couple of washers on the rear axle on the motor drive side.
Good luck, keep us informed. Happy Holidays
Tom

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't run the wheel cocked off to one side so the chain clears.

A slight rubbing on the tire is not as harmful as running the chain out of alignment.

I run 2.00's with no problem.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I went to the hardware store and bought enough washers to put 3 flat washers behind the sprocket and between the rubber mount on each bolt (=1/8 in spacing). Then added two thick washers to the axel to prevent the chain from hitting the frame. Worked great and have many miles on it that way.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
This gave me clearance to spare and can run wide tires. Ate one tire up though before the spacing, I would change out the stock tube for a heavy duty tube while the wheel is off, Plus maybe change the bearings out for loose bearings if it is a Walmart bike. Bearing can be found at ACE Hardware as well as bike shops. Kind of a pain learning how coaster brakes go back together and keeping the bearings in place with grease while you assemble, Maybe it is just that I weight over 230lb and ride rough roads. But those washers are easy to do.

squire

Nov 22, 2008
tampa
thanks so much for the help guys its been great!... im going to try the washer spacing, also i did rebuild the bake hub, and also put some nice phil wood grease in there!!

Ben

Oct 7, 2009
Oregon
I went to the hardware store and bought enough washers to put 3 flat washers behind the sprocket and between the rubber mount on each bolt (=1/8 in spacing). Then added two thick washers to the axel to prevent the chain from hitting the frame. Worked great and have many miles on it that way.
Sorry to revive an old thread folks, but I do have a question for you TexasDav, or anyone else who can relate - Any idea if this remedy will work with *2.35* Schwalbe Fat Franks? I must had a loose screw of my own when I ordered these and didn't even think of how wide they'd end up. They look awesome on my cruiser but I can already tell there's two options: Send'em back (please no!!) or maybe someone here has successfully remedied the problem of the engine chain rubbing against this sized tire. Add to this that the wheels are 26” Steel 72 spoke radial laced, and the sprocket I'm going to (attempt to) install is a 36 tooth....I forsee a lot of cussing in the next few days. :-||

Help? lol

-Ben

Last edited:

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Sorry to revive an old thread folks, but I do have a question for you TexasDav, or anyone else who can relate - Any idea if this remedy will work with *2.35* Schwalbe Fat Franks? I must had a loose screw of my own when I ordered these and didn't even think of how wide they'd end up. They look awesome on my cruiser but I can already tell there's two options: Send'em back (please no!!) or maybe someone here has successfully remedied the problem of the engine chain rubbing against this sized tire. Add to this that the wheels are 26” Steel 72 spoke radial laced, and the sprocket I'm going to (attempt to) install is a 36 tooth....I forsee a lot of cussing in the next few days. :-||

Help? lol

-Ben
If any of the above mentioned things dont work you can go with the shift kit from Sick Bike Parts. It would probably end up looking even sweeter since you wont have 2 chains going to the back wheel.

Pat

Ben

Oct 7, 2009
Oregon
Thanks for the tip! I have a standard coaster hub though..no extra gears and I don't have the money for the jack shaft kit let alone a Nu Vinci variable tranny. I found some extra tires (1.95s and hardly used) in the storage room..although they aren't Fat Franks, they are a solid black which will match the black cruiser frame nicely (it's a Black Racer from SpookyTooth), and I'm sure there will be enough clearance. My only dilemma now is in trying to clear the 72 spokes with the 9 bolts on the 36 tooth sprocket. I KNOW STB was able to do this since the bike is pictured with a 36tooth on the same radial laced wheel. Well, I think this thread has taken a turn off-subject so I'll sign off for now, unless this can be transferred to the appropriate thread! -Ben

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Thanks for the tip! I have a standard coaster hub though..no extra gears and I don't have the money for the jack shaft kit let alone a Nu Vinci variable tranny. I found some extra tires (1.95s and hardly used) in the storage room..although they aren't Fat Franks, they are a solid black which will match the black cruiser frame nicely (it's a Black Racer from SpookyTooth), and I'm sure there will be enough clearance. My only dilemma now is in trying to clear the 72 spokes with the 9 bolts on the 36 tooth sprocket. I KNOW STB was able to do this since the bike is pictured with a 36tooth on the same radial laced wheel. Well, I think this thread has taken a turn off-subject so I'll sign off for now, unless this can be transferred to the appropriate thread! -Ben
Thats Dax (a sponsor to the left) has his version of the shift kit too for cheaper. You could still keep your single speed coaster and the cool tires. I guess it depends on how much you want to keep those fatty tires. I would go the tire route also, since its cheaper, but then again, what you end up spending on trying to get the sprocket to work with your wheels might make it a wash. There are some really good tires out there called Hemisphere Armadillos by Specialized if you choose to go that route. They are puncture resistant. I have a set. They are 26" x 1.95" and fit on my 2.125" rim nicely. Specialized Bicycle Components : Hemisphere Armadillo Tire

Pat

Last edited: