Commuter Bike Build - Would this work?

GoldenMotor.com

Jakerox43

Jul 6, 2009
Rhode Island
I'm thinking of using The Skyhawk Stage III Whopper Stopper kit from bicycle-engines and the $74 Wal-Mart Men's bike (I can't post links).

Does anyone have experience with that kit? I'm new to motorized bicycling and hope for something simple and reliable. I also want to add a back rack, cupholder, paint, etc to turn it into a perfect commuter. I weigh 120 Lbs and don't have any killer hills, so can I add a 36 or 44 tooth sprocket?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. At 120lbs, the Skyhawk should move you down the road very well.
I have not used a Skyhawk, but my 48cc China girl motor moves my 200+lb girth down the road pretty well.
A steel beach cruiser from Walmart should work fine. I would add a front brake if it does not come equipped with one (a front BMX caliper brake is cheapest and will do the job). Coaster brakes are not designed to stop you from 25mph without some help, and cars will turn in front of you.

Jakerox43

Jul 6, 2009
Rhode Island
Can I somehow get aftermarket rear handbrakes? And what sprocket could I get away with? I'd like to be able to cruise at a decent speed. And thanks for your help!