Winter wheel-free score

GoldenMotor.com

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Old rusty wheel I found but just what I needed -steel rim and threaded hub.The axle was bent-could not use-sprocket cassette rusty and all gummed up.The wheel bearings after cleaned and inspected found to be O K. I soaked sprocket cassette in varsol then relubed-removed most of the rust from rim with scouring pad and penetrating oil. I assembled with new axle-cut down wide spacer to get7/8" on left side.
There is a plate that threads on to the hub.Then sprocket bolted to the plate. Then free wheel cassette bike sprockets thread on to plate, and that's how with my system I get free wheel on same side. Here are pics of bashed up rusty thing I'm gonna use for winter wheel on my winter bike.:):):):) P.S. Have to re-center the axle.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
*sigh*

The ocean air does a number on my nice shiny bolts and whatnot - I can't wait to see what road salt does... meh

ooh! I have an "extra" set of rims for my winter tires - thanks Blakenstein :D

oh wait... they're not black... they wont match my bike o_O Fashion victim? :p

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Is that the reason for having a winter wheel, to protect your other seasons wheel from road salt and such? Or is the tire different. Sure doesn't look rusty in the photos. Nice job.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
um, with cars it's to protect yer nice rims and to save the pain in the *** of swapping the snow tires over, which can also damage the rims depending on the high school dropout runnin' the machine.

With a bike - it's a bit decadent lol *shrug*

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Is that the reason for having a winter wheel, to protect your other seasons wheel from road salt and such? Or is the tire different. Sure doesn't look rusty in the photos. Nice job. Thanks Siverbear, yes that is the reason when it s frozen cold its o.k. but on the warm days, any bit of snow on there will melt and the little water droplets cause rust on the rim and sometimes when I neglect to wipe it down after a ride, the next day the surface rust is horrible-if not rectified quickly,it will eat right through the chrome. Where I live,very little salt is used on the raods-it;s moast of all sand.:):):):)
P.S. Wish I had an air compressor - they work great for blowing away moisture. Maybe I'll get one soon after I pay my 250.00 J walking fine I'll be broke for a while but at least I'll have one and it will be about time.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
*sigh*

The ocean air does a number on my nice shiny bolts and whatnot - I can't wait to see what road salt does... meh

ooh! I have an "extra" set of rims for my winter tires - thanks Blakenstein :D

oh wait... they're not black... they wont match my bike o_O Fashion victim? :p
You're welcome Barely awake, P.S. I saw your bike and it;s a nice one;black rims will match your bike.All the weight on mine is on the back so I need the steel rims-also need threaded hubs for my sprocket plate to mount. You seem to know alot about my system which is different from all of yours because you called a kicker and when it sometimes likes to pop, man does it ever kick. That's why I changed my idler bearing arm mounting bolt over from full threaded 3/16 over to 1/4" bushing bolt.-dont want that arm dropping off into the drive train-I'll be dog meat if that happens.:):)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
J walking eh? Aren't you the bad boy. A criminal, a desperado. You must have trouble sleeping at night. Isn't it about time you gave up your sinful life of crime? Lettuceprey.
SB

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
J walking eh? Aren't you the bad boy. A criminal, a desperado. You must have trouble sleeping at night. Isn't it about time you gave up your sinful life of crime? Lettuceprey.
SB
Man oh man, you sure hit that one right on the money.You sure got me laughing out loud!! but seriously there's no excuses for me any more.:):):):)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Man oh man, you sure hit that one right on the money.You sure got me laughing out loud!! but seriously there's no excuses for me any more.:):):):)
No there is no excuse for a life of crime. What would your dear mother think if she knew? Lettuce hope this is a new beginning for you. Now lettuceprey somemore or if you would prefer we could ride our bikes instead and turn a new wheel.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With what winter does to chrome, that's not such a bad idea lol :):):):)
Blaken,
I know this might sound silly but have you ever tried spraying the rims with WD-40. We used to use it on the real magnesium rims on the race car. Mag tarnishes very quickly but the WD kept them looking great for a couple of weeks after a polish job. That old thing about 1001 uses for WD isn't all BS. The stuff does work for a lot of things. Give it a try and let me know how it works. And, the overspray will make your tires look nice :)
Tom

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Blaken,
I know this might sound silly but have you ever tried spraying the rims with WD-40. We used to use it on the real magnesium rims on the race car. Mag tarnishes very quickly but the WD kept them looking great for a couple of weeks after a polish job. That old thing about 1001 uses for WD isn't all BS. The stuff does work for a lot of things. Give it a try and let me know how it works. And, the overspray will make your tires look nice :)
Tom
Hey Tom!
Good tip. I bought some heavy duty rims from bikeworldusa which are nice and a deal for the money...HOWEVER, the chrome is on the wimpy side and a little moisture starts surface rust easily. I'll try the wd-40. Some people up here give a surface lure a shot, claiming it is attractive to fish. Idunno if it is or not. I wouldn't want to make my rims more attractive to say, dogs.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
WD40 will make them more attractive to dust and dirt. it'll also make your caliper brakes useless.

i've stripped bikes down to raw steel and every few months i'd spray them with WD40, let it soak for a few minutes, then wipe them down. it'd keep the rust away, and that's in a beach, salt air environment.

a friend of mine sprays it on the fish he bbq's. i don't like fish, so i've never tried it.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
WD40 will make them more attractive to dust and dirt. it'll also make your caliper brakes useless.

i've stripped bikes down to raw steel and every few months i'd spray them with WD40, let it soak for a few minutes, then wipe them down. it'd keep the rust away, and that's in a beach, salt air environment.

a friend of mine sprays it on the fish he bbq's. i don't like fish, so i've never tried it.
I don't think I'd like my fish with wd-40. Perhaps with a dash of Marvel Mystery Oil. I hadn't thought about the front caliper brake, but would have figured that out pretty quick after trying to stop.
SB