Gas Tank Bruising My Knees

GoldenMotor.com

Roda Power

Aug 27, 2009
Indonesia
I am currently living in Indonesia where the weather is hot and humid. As a result, I wear shorts when I ride my bike and gas engine Grubee 48cc bike. I have a black tear drop gas tank and everytime I ride my gas engine bike and hit a bump, my knee gets banged/bruised or cut from the gas tank. The part in the gas tank that bruise or cuts my knee/legs is the welded or seam area.

Any suggestions/comments how to modify/cut the seams. I do not want to use duct tape as it looks to "tacky". cvlt1

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I know some remove the seam from the tanks, there is a pic somewhere in the paint shop forum somewhere.

How about using some small fuel/vacuum lines and cutting a slit and wrap it around the seam of the tank.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
i started by simply wrapping an old belt round the upside of the seam. Now I've gone further by fixing gel from an old 'computer wrist-rest and covering the lot with black leather

even an old belt or two can work real well

makes a massive difference to safety comfort and control in a pinch and on ramps

feels like a motor-bike should feel

takes no time at all...

ku4qb

Jun 7, 2009
Moore County, NC
I used car door edge protector strips on mine. It's a "U" shaped plastic strip with adhesive already inside. It should be available in any auto acessory shop.
HTH Bill KU4QB