"SickBelly"? HardBox 4stroke Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Just took the maiden voyage! ETS around 50 mph! Everything works great just need to respace the chainwheels on the crank as I have a little interference.

I'm excited w/ the versatity; this is what the HardBox trans. was designed to do!

Thanks Jim and Paul for your contributions!

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I'm using the HuaSheng but the Honda can be used as well! There are universal mounts in the works. But you could special order a shift kit transmission from me. I've not established a price yet but it will obviously be more expensive than the standard "HardBox" transmission.

In addition to the transmission being geared down it requires a special clutch, outboard bearing carriers, a crank freewheel carrier, freewheel and chainrings.
The crank spindle also requires a little modification.

That said it is a Truly Awesome set up!

Firebelly Cycles's Photos - FireBelly Fotos | Facebook

I'll try to get video and more refined pics up tomorrow!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
It is the prototype shift kit of my already available "HardBox" transmission. The universal parts of the shift kit i.e. outboard bearing carrier, better motor mounts, freewheel adapters etc. are in the works. However, I can make up a kit for those who want one before all that universal stuff is done!

So I guess, all of the above! Thanks!

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
So for those of us who already have your Hardbox what will we need from you?

Do you have a rough estimate for a price range?

And if I switch over and do not like it how easy or difficult would it be to switch back?

With using that standard bicycle chain for the drive how long do you think it will last? Has anyone ever done this long term?

How much of an improvement did you get on acceleration and was 50 your top speed on flat with the 50 cc HS?

Can you still pedal the bike like normal with little resistance comparable to your hardbox?

It appears that you use the bicycle derailer to do the shifting. How does this work out do you let off of the gas to shift or what?

Ever thought of adding a Nuvinci to the mix? But that would probably take more energy to spin therefore reducing the top speed huh?

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Hi Jared,
For those who already have the transmission we will upgrade their kit at cost. I will pm you later w/ pricing. The kit is currently available at $450 for transmission and shift kit bits and will likely go up to $495 on the next run of boxes.

Switching back and forth is not difficult. Though dialing in the shift kit is a little more intensive than the single speed.

Quality bike chain is stronger than kit chains; Jim and Pablo would have more knowledge concerning the longevity of the chain.

Regardless of how you gear your motor it will only pull so hard. Max speed on level is about the same, maybe 40 mph on my motor (they seem to vary quite a bit). I'm able to go uphill faster w/o pedaling and downhill faster period. Acceleration is about the same but w/o pedaling.

Pedaling w/ motor off is about the same.

Let off the gas, shift, back on the gas!

I've been eyeing the Nu Vinci for some time and will definately be giving it a try sooner or later!

Thanks and I'll get you a pm later today!

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
when do you think the final gearbox and or shift kits will be available to see online, whats the web page you can see them featured on. I saw the 4g belt drive irishjohn had and it looks too wide and tall. Definetely leaning more towards yours.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Hey glacknoid,

SBP is going to develop the mounts and shift kit parts; I have no real eta for that but Im sure Jim and Paul are motivated. FireBellyCycles.com is coming alive as we speak; the home page is up and the youtube and facebook links are operational. Right now it isn't fully functional but it is getting there.