Ideas Needed

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mike,
You're right. There should be a solid axle between the wheels. From an engineering standpoint that thing is a potential 'Face Planter' for sure. The concept is currently being used on scooters. I saw one at a stop light a couple of weeks ago with 2, side-by-side front wheels. I'm not sure what the advantage is; more rubber on the road, maybe?
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
one advantage would be when youre stopped at a light or stop sign the bike stands upright by itself plus no kick stand needed when parked.but if anyone trys this they better have it mounted good.i did this when i was a kid,but no motor on it back then.
if mounted wrong,anything with 3-wheels always stand a chance for rocking back and forth and flipping(i flipped a 3-wheel bike before but no engine-2 in back 1 front)

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Mike,
You're right. There should be a solid axle between the wheels. From an engineering standpoint that thing is a potential 'Face Planter' for sure. The concept is currently being used on scooters. I saw one at a stop light a couple of weeks ago with 2, side-by-side front wheels. I'm not sure what the advantage is; more rubber on the road, maybe?
Tom
Hey Tom,
I agree about the "Face Planting" potential.

On the plus side, a guy could still ride home on one front tire if the other went flat. And there's room for two hub motors.

.trk.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Wow my and my friend were actually pondering this idea a while ago. That set-up that kid has is creative. But he'll definitely have to learn from his mistakes. The only way i think a reverse trike would work well enough to turn is if the fork is extended further out. They either have to be further apart.. or.. like touching, which i think still wouldn't work. I thought of just running a longer rod through the fork but you wouldn't be able to turn well and it'd be weak. I think it'd only work if you custom fabbed a new fork.. just my 2 cents. lol

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Wow my and my friend were actually pondering this idea a while ago. That set-up that kid has is creative. But he'll definitely have to learn from his mistakes. The only way i think a reverse trike would work well enough to turn is if the fork is extended further out. They either have to be further apart.. or.. like touching, which i think still wouldn't work. I thought of just running a longer rod through the fork but you wouldn't be able to turn well and it'd be weak. I think it'd only work if you custom fabbed a new fork.. just my 2 cents. lol
Here's a couple pictures of trikes that sound similar to what you described.

www.thewaysidechapel.org/trike1.jpg

www.thewaysidechapel.org/trike2.jpg