Need some modification help

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
I have a 26" Mt. Fury bike with a Skyhawk 48cc engine. I'm wanting to raise the handlebars more than the bike will let me. I need to know the exact name of the extension that I must buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
You need a new stem, post pictures of your bike. You either need a quil stem or a threadless 1 1/8 stem.

You should also look into riser handlebars on BMX style handlebars. Keep in mind handlebars have different diameters, so check what you have.

Most mountain bike bars are 31.8 or 25.4mm, must BMX bar a areas 25.4mm.

ariana66

Oct 12, 2014
london
You should also look into riser handlebars on BMX style handlebars. Keep in mind handlebars have different diameters, so check what you have.

Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
Still waiting for my wife to clear the camera BUT the diameter of the riser bar is .825 so I'm thinking that a 7/8ths designation will be employed. I'm finding 21.1 MM bars and slightly larger 22.2 MM also. I'll wait for the answers I get after I post a picture. The seat is another can of worms. The shaft that holds it looks to go at a 45 degree angle so the higher it goes the farther away from the handlebars it gets. Once again, waiting on pictures and opinions from those "in the know". Thanks.

Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
Here are a couple of pictures of the handlebar riser. Also pictures of the seat. My question concerning the seat is can I raise the seat up to match the new height of the handlebars? As I mentioned earlier the riser for the handlebars measures .825 but seems a bit loose as if a bit more diameter would make it more snug.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here are a couple of pictures of the handlebar riser. Also pictures of the seat. My question concerning the seat is can I raise the seat up to match the new height of the handlebars? As I mentioned earlier the riser for the handlebars measures .825 but seems a bit loose as if a bit more diameter would make it more snug.
The part crassius listed will work good for you looks like to me.

another option would be to nust get a set of standard height ape hanger bars that are 7/8" @ the mounting area, Sunlite makes them that are 7/8" the entire bar and they're comfortable to me since they put me in an upright riding position.

but if you like your bars the extension will be good also.

map
dnut

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Hi I am in the same boat as you, one thing to check out before you order parts is to see if you have enough cable slack to safely raise your handlebars to the height you want.
most universal cables are inexpensive if you need to lengthen your cable runs.
Personally I would shy away from a stem extension, there are adjustable stems or many high rise handle bars available.

Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
Before sending my money to Amazon I decided to check and see if I was comparing apples to apples and not oranges. Well, it seems that the stem is attached to the square part where the handlebars rest. So unless I can get something that takes my riser and sits down into the frame I can only buy a little height with what I have. I wonder if the riser from Amazon (or wherever) is an "add on" or a replacement. We have a bike shop here in town but I only go into town once a week or so and I've reached my question limit and was told "You better bring the bike in so we can see what you're talking about". I'll have to load it on my truck and make the trip. That won't be for almost 3 weeks. The truck uses a lot of gas so we use the car unless we are going to buy big stuff like garden stuff or gas in jugs.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
the extention on amazon is made so that one end of it goes down inside the forks stem tube and then your excisting stem will go inside the upper portion of the extention, if you look closely at the pic you'll notice the extention has a larger diameter on the upper end, that is so your stem will fit inside it.

Map

Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
the extention on amazon is made so that one end of it goes down inside the forks stem tube and then your excisting stem will go inside the upper portion of the extention, if you look closely at the pic you'll notice the extention has a larger diameter on the upper end, that is so your stem will fit inside it.

Map
Thank you BIG TIME! The picture wasn't clear but your explanation IS! I measured the opening in the frame and it measures .875. The shaft that holds my handlebars is .825. So there is a bit of a "wobble when it is inserted. So, should I order the smaller one or the larger? (21.1 or 22.2).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
Soooo I loaded my bike on my pick-up and passed by the bike store on my way to something else. The guy came out and looked at it and showed me the riser I needed. I bought it (same price as Amazon) along with 2 very thick tubes for desert travel. The riser worked like a charm. The cables were an issue and only one needs to be changed "maybe" (mad scientist at work). It's starting to gel and should be ready for a test run soon. I'll report as I go. Thanks all.