Dinky Propellor bike!

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Pretty cool Jax. Looks like it will be a really fun project.

Tom, watching your vid, kept thinking pontoons! How cool would that be?

(dang, I might try this)

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA

Saw this trike in Bonneville last year. A stock clone engine with a belt and pulley system powered the prop. He was just cruising the pit area with it. I was surprised how well it moved along.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
With a prop the wind direction will make a difference in your ground speed. If you are going into the wind your ground speed will be slower. Go with the wind you will go faster.

And a prop will be less efficient than putting power to the wheel. You will also need the correct length and pitch prop for the horse power you are running. A prop is just like a transmission.

You have to be in the right gear or the engine wont turn it or it will spin it real fast but not move enough air to get any speed. But the cool factor would probably overcome all negatives....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ilikea, been looking at old pics or prop driven boats. A lot have the propeller forward so the engine is behind like say, a WWI fighter.

For a trike or a boat, wouldn't an aft facing prop be better?

Just struck me as odd so many were built that way and that there must be a reason? Or was it just convention, do ya think?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Dan, a rear facing prop, ( pusher) is a little more efficient than a tractor configuration. But in aircraft if you kick up a rock or have a screw or nut or bolt come loose it goes through the prop. Which can cause a serious out of balance condition. ( Not a good thing). And usually shakes the engine completely off..........

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan, a rear facing prop, ( pusher) is a little more efficient than a tractor configuration. But in aircraft if you kick up a rock or have a screw or nut or bolt come loose it goes through the prop. Which can cause a serious out of balance condition. ( Not a good thing). And usually shakes the engine completely off..........
The best of both worlds > http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=304

Got some fond memories of these little guys.

Tom

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
The best of both worlds > http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=304

Got some fond memories of these little guys.

Tom
Oooh a 337, I actually got help work on one of those. Back engine is hard to get to. The manual says single engine taxi on rear engine only. Folks have actually forgot to start the rear engine and did single engine takeoff. Uses lots of runway. There is even a special twin engine rating for an inline twin.....

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
Use a 2 stroke snowmobile engine, they use them for ultralight air planes... 250cc will fly my Skypup Ultralight project, but I'm using a 440 Kawasaki twin with a belt/pulley reduction gear...