Over 50

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Found this on a 2 stroke forum I was visiting today ...good advice for you guys like me over 50.

EXERCISE FOR PEOPLE OVER 50

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute and then relax.
Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.

Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

TiM

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This ruse reminds me of a prank that an old blacksmith buddy of mine from the SCA middle-ages re-enactors used to pull:

He told me how he duplicated his trusty 10 pound sledge. He made a copy out of steel box tubing, welded the ends shut, and before he drove the handle in he filled the inside with spray-foam insulation so it wouldn't ring. He let his little daughter hammer in tent pegs with it when they set up camp.

Inevitably, some other camper will have forgotten to bring something to put in his pegs with. He'd see her using the "sledge" and ask to borrow it. She'd say something like "Ask my dad".

Smith/Dad would always say it was okay, while at the same time she's bringing it in through the back and laying it soundly on the table. He goes back and gets the real one, and brings it out. He'd hold the head and present him with the handle, asking "You got it?"
The borrower would say "Yes"
He'd ask "Are you sure?"
The borrower, having just seen a wee lass use it, would say "I'm sure".
The he'd leave the full weight of a ten-pound sledge hang from their arm.

One or two pegs was generally all most people could manage, using a ten-pound sledge. And they were left wondering how a little girl could hammer tent pegs all morning with it. But, you know, nobody ever messed with that little girl while she was there. She got all the respect in the world.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My definition of workout changed dramatically upon reaching age 50. It's very easy to tear tendons or get tendonitis these days.