No spark on new build

GoldenMotor.com

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Well guys I spent alot of time putting my motored bike together and I finally get to try and start it and nothing! I am a very good mechanic so I figured no problem but after alot of checking it seems I still get no spark. I checked the magneto with my meter and I saw it jump to 8.8 volts (I took the plug out and turned it over by hand) so the magneto seems to be making voltage. Is there a better way to check the magneto? My other question is how do you test the CDI unit? I am going to throw a noid light on the plug tonight and see if its actually firing but it sure acts like its not. I can put my weight on the seat while walking next to it and let the clutch out and hear the engine going thru the stokes but it doesn't even hit at all!

.sno.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I've done much searching and I can't find any info with regards to testing CDI's of any kind other than having a known working one on hand to compare the suspect one with. I take it you checked your kill switch and all wires for any ground outs?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
CDI pack GOOD Mine
Black to Blue 1150kΩ 7.6 meg Ω
Black to Plug 2.6kΩ 2.17K Ω
Blue to Plug 1150kΩ OPEN

Magneto
Blue to White 327Ω 349Ω
Black to Blue 327Ω 347Ω
Black to White 2.1Ω 2.1Ω
Black to Gnd 0Ω 0.3Ω
Blue to Gnd 327Ω 347Ω
White to Gnd 2.1Ω 2.3Ω

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I have the kill switch completely unconnected so that rules it out.........pretty frustrating when a simple motor like the ht's give you such problems!

.sno.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
take the plug out...has it got gas on it.....trootle operating fine...usually its not the maneto...blue to blue...blk to blk...white cap it off...now before you hook up wires...take off end pieces and replace them...spark plug gaped at .025...now the clutch...if you engage the clutch does it move freely..now disengage..hard to move...if this is not the case, take the clutch cover off, the one with 5 screws...take off the set screw for flower nut and tighten it up ...than 1 1/2 turns counter clock wise...now engage and disengage...OK...forgot when you tighten up the flower nut...engage the clutch, than follow proceedure...now with all this done, it should pop and start....in the beginning while you are pedaling, hold the trootle up...now if all this doesnt work, thru process of elimination...its a bad CDI...ha...its happened to me...good luck and let us know...Dennis

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
just spin it over holding a nail in the plug boot.. no need for a noid light.. if it's got spark you'll know it

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Well after some tinker and measuring values I came to the conclusion everything was working right so I started looking closer and found out my clutch wasn't completely releasing and it would only turn over once in a while when trying to start it. So I adjusted the clutch and pow it fired right up and now all I need to fix is the carb float bowl drain screw is leaking alot.............LOL. These things are to much fun! Thanks for all of your help guys!

.sno.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
now buy some gray permitex...take your bowl off and take a tooth pick and spread it on your gasket...watch out around the float area...out it back togeather and one at a time take out the screws again...put permitex on those and screw back in...do this where your needle valve is and let it set over night...tight as a drum...use the same gray permitex on both surfaces of your exhaust gasket...or buy a all copper gasket from jim at manic mechanics...best...ok have fun...Dennis

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Funny you suggested that because use permitex is what I did and no more leaks. Did some more break in runs on the motor yesterday and it did really well for not being tuned well. I gotta get one of those gasket from Jim.
.sno.

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I just made sure it was completely releasing.........make sure when you let out the clutch that it is completely engaged or the motor wont turn over properly.

.sno.