Nirve Switchblade with Pit Bike Motor

GoldenMotor.com

bird_e

May 4, 2010
Boulder, Co
Guys,
I really want to start a new project and just love the Nirve Switchbalde. But I also want a pit bike motor as too all it's advantages. The problem is that space available within the frame. If I tilt the motor I think it will fit, just not sure what the impact will be on the lubrication system.

Anyone have opinions on this? Also, not sure about the chain side interference with the engine.

I have attached a mockup picture of what I had in mind.
Thanks!
Bob

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
After seeing how tiny the 66cc engine sits in my switchblade I'm looking forward to getting something bigger!
I measured the inside frame and the engine will sit if slightly tilted as shown in your picture if it is a 50-70cc (430mm long)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Guys,
I really want to start a new project and just love the Nirve Switchbalde. But I also want a pit bike motor as too all it's advantages. The problem is that space available within the frame.

If I tilt the motor I think it will fit, just not sure what the impact will be on the lubrication system.

Anyone have opinions on this? Also, not sure about the chain side interference with the engine.

I have attached a mockup picture of what I had in mind.
Thanks!
Bob
Silver State Cycles from Vegas had a 50 cc 4 speed Lifan at our
last race that I got to ride.

Motor works fine at that angle and I have seen a Lifan in a
mountain bike that was at a steeper angle.
You just add more oil to compensate.

The motor is fairly wide so not sure on your chain clearance.

The electric start button is on top of the black cylinder.

bird_e

May 4, 2010
Boulder, Co
It's been about a year and starting to work on the project again.
Got a 90cc 3 speed mounted into a modified swicthblade frame.
Had to cut the seat tube out, fabricate a jackshaft system and engine mounts. Working on the drive train parts currently. Wich will include an eccentric bottom bracket. More pictures soon....

Bob

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Being a Switchblade fan I'm watching this build. So far I'm seeing some excellent work going into it. It should be a impressive bike when complete.

I see it doesn't have the front disc brake that came on the later models of the Switchblade. I have to wonder if the left fork tube is available from Nirve. It has the caliper mounts welded on. Of course you'd still need a disc brake front hub and I'm sure you are capable of fabricating mounts for a caliper. What is your plan for front brakes?

Tom

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Being a Switchblade fan I'm watching this build. So far I'm seeing some excellent work going into it. It should be a impressive bike when complete.

I see it doesn't have the front disc brake that came on the later models of the Switchblade. I have to wonder if the left fork tube is available from Nirve. It has the caliper mounts welded on. Of course you'd still need a disc brake front hub and I'm sure you are capable of fabricating mounts for a caliper. What is your plan for front brakes?

Tom
Kids on 20" bikes just rub their $80 Van's tennies between the front tire and fork........that should be sufficient, shouldn't it? As long as you switch feet for the braking chores.....$40 is pretty reasonable for front brakes I think ;)