Spark Plug Terminal Question

GoldenMotor.com

inkbone

Jun 5, 2009
vancouver
Hello there,

First off, I'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone that posts on here. I bought an 80cc kit a couple of weeks ago and would NEVER have been able to assemble it had it not been for youse guys. I had never looked at an engine twice before I started this project and now I know how to adjust my float and check my plug and even punk out my muffler. You guys rule.

Now, this is probably a stupid question but I've searched the forums and googled it and I got nuthin':

If I replace the spark plug (with, say, a B6Hs) why does it not fit? Am I supposed to remove the metal casing (terminal)? (And, if so, how)? Or, am I supposed to remove the little brass-looking fitting in the boot? Or, do I have to also replace the whole wire and plug and everything?

Please advise. Thank you.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Inkbone,

I ditched the original plug and I remember either on the instructions or from this site that the cap on the end of the plug needs to come off. It should just unscrew I think. You may have to loosen it with pliers, but it should come off and then it will fit in the boot. Good Luck

inkbone

Jun 5, 2009
vancouver
Hey Tinsmith,

Yesh, I thought that too but regardless how hard I try the damned thing won't come off. Maybe there's a trick...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It should unscrew but if it doesn't you can replace the boot with a good automotive type that doesn't require removal of the end cap off the plug. The kit plug wire is okay to use, in fact it's better than what you'll get at the local car parts store because it has a metal conductor and the auto parts item will be a resistance wire with a non-metallic core. I always use a metal conductor, preferably copper wire, less resistance, and I solder the wire to the terminal. Hope this gets you going.
Tom

Last edited:

inkbone

Jun 5, 2009
vancouver
Yeeeeah, you know, this doesn't make any sense. How can I go to the store and buy the exact same spark plug as someone else but not be able to take the terminal thingy off?

Grrr.

inkbone

Jun 5, 2009
vancouver
Oh derp!

Never mind. It was just my wimpy girl-arms. I did it. Sorry everyone rolling their eyes at this thread.

Beauty on.