chain rubbing on inside of case?

GoldenMotor.com

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
bought my second kit and having a problem with this one. my chain is so close to the engine case the pins on the chain are catching as the chain enters the engine housing. it seems like i am missing a washer or bushing to space the sprocket away from the engine. has anyone had this sprocket off?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
maybe the chain is coming in the case at a angle?maybe you need a spacer on your rear sprocket?is it the master link rubbing on your case,it does stick out a few mms more than a regular link.or maybe you need to flip rear sprocket around,dish side in sprocket teeth out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A too loose chain will also contribute to this problem. Shoot for about 1/2" of slack measured at the center of the chain length between sprockets. Check your chain path, (alignment) from front to rear sprocket and make sure you have no more than about 1/4 to 3/8" side to side misalignment. Preferably the chain should not have any lateral misalignment and will run better if both drive and driven sprockets are aligned. Hope this answers your question. You also want to make sure your tensioner pully is aligned and not dragging the chain to the side. Most tensioner brackets will require a slight twist to get the pully wheel aligned with the chain path. Also you'll want to secure the tensioner bracket to the bike frame in some way that prevents it from loosening and rotating into the rear spokes. Some guys use a self tapping screw into the bracket and frame and others drill all the way through and install a small bolt and nut. I've used a 10/32 allen bolt and lock nut and never had a problem.
Tom

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
i spaced my rear sprocket w 1 rubber mount on the inside and one on the outside and dished the sprocket out.
I ended up putting a washer between the sprocket and the bearing to space it out.
the chain was also rubbing on the case cover once i ground a little off the cover all was great.
now i have to figure out why my new kit runs so much better than my first kit
rob

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
I just spent 5 hours figuring this same problem out today. There is suppose to be a rubber bearing sealer/ washer behind the sprocket and over the shaft covering the bearing. It is the same size as the bearing. If you look at the clutch scematics I have inserted. It is part # 14. It puts the sprocket out far enough so it does not hit the case. The engine I installed on a bike yesterday was missing this part completely. I was boggled. Same problem when the chain got to the master link it would stop suddenly. Tried several things. My engine was a grube skyhawk gt5. What is yours. I disasembled two sprocket set ups side by side and walla. Problem solved. Missing rubber washer. 5 hours later. Damn!! Hope this helps You as no one could help me.
http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/images/engines/clutch-schematic.jpg