Hot Grease Spraying Everywhere!

GoldenMotor.com

The Shaolin

May 22, 2009
Appleton, WI
Hello everyone, first post, I like the place!

My brother and I have those "80 CC CHEAP CHINA ENGINES!" found on eBay (68.5CC's is what I think it is). They've got plenty of problems we work through but I'm stumped on this one.

While riding quick (20-30mph) after the bike has warmed up, I feel little hot flecks hitting my feet. After getting off, I've got grey grease spots all over my feet. It's worse on the NON CHAIN side...?

I wiped the bike down the best I could to see if I could tell where it was coming from, gave all the bolts a little TQ, and it's leaking again, but I can't tell where from. Engine was painted black from the factory, makes leak detection DIFFICULT!

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem, or has any ideas what could possibly be leaking/throwing grease out like that so I know where to start looking.

JD-StukNchaoS

Dec 29, 2008
santa paula, Calif.
exhaust splatter should decrease with runtime and breakin. Try a hotter plug to clean up the exhaust and if you're using the plug that came with the kit throw it away. They will fail and it's usually at high rpm's so trapped plug fragments destroy your motor. 32:1 ratio will give optimum performance and less headaches. In time you may consider a tuned pipe that will help performance and also eliminates splatter going onto the bike as well as the rider,,good luck

Attachments

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you might have a head gasket leaking the bolts will need to be re torqued I recommend using an inch lb torque wrench it will depend on the type and size (dia.) of the heads studs/nuts and the amount.
The nuts and studs can strip and break very easily if you don't use the torque wrench most heads take around 110"lbs to 120"lbs. max, best to check with the seller for the correct torque.
If your head gasket is blown( it will make a whistling sound or a popping sound sometimes you can feel it) replace it most of the sponsors on the side bars will help you with the correct head gasket size/thickness almost all of these head gaskets are soft aluminum.
brake clean might help you to clean off the engine but it might eat the paint so I warned you. Carb cleaner will eat the paint I know from experience and your skin,eyes, etc. nasty stuff it works.
Norman
Jd. Your exhaust is leaking looks like in the slip joint on the john deer bike thats avery hard place to get it so seal high temp rtv silicone can help but won't last long.

Last edited:

The Shaolin

May 22, 2009
Appleton, WI
I am just about POSITIVE the grease is not coming out the exhaust. Exhaust is pointed at the ground and it's mostly hitting my foot on the opposite side, at the top of the pedal travel.

The place where I can see it the most is the vertical bar right behind the motor. Bike is red, but this frame is absolutely black with grease.

Headgasket is not leaking, the bike is hauling ass more than ever before. My brother was doing 32 on his and I passed him like he was standing still.

I think it's drivetrain related, but I really don't know where from.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You have any sign of a black oily poo any where on the cylinder or case trace it back to its source you need to clean the bike real good then keep an eye on it the bikes will run with a leaking head gasket and might make a slightly weird sound if its bad enough. the exhaust port gasket can do the same thing any sign of black oily stuff is a leak. You could post pictures then it might help to see your problem.

Last edited:

supermario680

Jun 1, 2009
wi
My buddy bought that exact same engine kit, we have some questions though.

1. there are obviously a black and a blue wire for the ignition coil, but what about that single
White Wire? what is that for? the killswitch?

exhaust splatter should decrease with runtime and breakin. Try a hotter plug to clean up the exhaust and if you're using the plug that came with the kit throw it away. They will fail and it's usually at high rpm's so trapped plug fragments destroy your motor. 32:1 ratio will give optimum performance and less headaches. In time you may consider a tuned pipe that will help performance and also eliminates splatter going onto the bike as well as the rider,,good luck

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I use the white wire to power a light system that I make. You can use it for the kill switch as well. Or you can tie in your kill switch to the blue wire and to the black wire. If you have just a one wire kill switch you can tie the kill switch wire to the blue wire on the cdi or the white wire.
Norman

supermario680

Jun 1, 2009
wi
I use the white wire to power a light system that I make. You can use it for the kill switch as well. Or you can tie in your kill switch to the blue wire and to the black wire. If you have just a one wire kill switch you can tie the kill switch wire to the blue wire on the cdi or the white wire.
Norman
so the white wire is just a power supply basically? btw he has a 2 wire KS which IIRC needs to be spliced into the 2 wires to the ignition.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
only place i saw grease when i tore my jet 80 down was on the clutch spring of the out put shaft, and a little on the crank gear. if there was a bunch of grease in the clutch side you would think it would make the clutch slip. you sure it's not coming off of the bicycle chain when you pedal.