Has anyone remove a cassette off of a MP3?

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Today while riding my beach cruiser, the cassette tightened up on the hub and was making a super loud shrieking noise then everything shut down, even the battery indicator lights. I took the rear wheel off and tried to loosen the cassette but didn't have any luck. Hopefully the damage wasnt too bad but it's hard to tell with the cassette on.

Does anyone know where I can find the correct tool or have a method or trick to take off the cassette?
Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The cassette mounting is the same as any other, you'll need a chain whip & the splined tool to remove it - unfortunately not all cassettes have the same size/number splines so which tool your particular cassette needs is anyone's guess. Given that and the fact every pedal stroke torques it on there a little tighter, a pneumatic impact is often easiest, tho a cheater bar can do the trick too. You may wish to consider taking the wheel to your local bike shop, that way you can at least find out which tool you'll need and/or just give 'em a coupla bucks to deal with it lol

This link shows the procedure & helps identify some of the splined tools: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cassette-and-freewheel-removal

This is the cassette I pulled from my MP2 & for more fun, the splined tool isn't labeled or stamped in any way to identify which one it is... which I s'pose isn't the end of the world as there's no guarantee you've the same one anyway, I ended up bringing mine to the LBS as my new cassette handily needed the splined tool I didn't have :rolleyes:

then everything shut down, even the battery indicator lights
Fortunately, the MP2/3s are "smart" hubs & contain all sorts of overload protections - if you unplug the power supply & wait a couple few it outa reset all by itself. When you plug it back in listen for beeps & if you hear any (they may be faint), it's an error code & the pattern can tell you what that error is... though you'll hafta ask Golden Motor as I don't remember all of them & I've lost the b'danged cheat sheet ofc.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...and jus' to be sure, a dab o'anti-seize when reassembling may be cause for much gratitude & relief someday lol

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks BarelyAWake but the all my spline tools center holes are too small and can't fit through the axle. I looked online for one but with luck finding one.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I had to drill the center of my tool to 5/8 to get it yo clear the 14mm hub shaft om my MP2. I was afraid the tool would be really hardened and couldnt be drilled, but it wasnt a problem. My cassette was locked when I got the motor, they assembled it with out the spacer rings which were thankfully in the included parts bag.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Cannonball. I think that's what I'm going to do. I just hope my tool isn't hardened either. What sucks is I'm still looking online for the right tool and still no luck.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
We just had to deal with this last week, I need to change out the 9 sprocket cassette for a wider spaced 5-speed to keep this electric from snapping that thin 9-speed chain so I can use Z33 and just took the wheel up to local bike shop to get the right socket.

They failed to mention the chain whip to hold the sprocket so you could loosen the retaining nut (the sprocket freewheels the direction to loosen the nut) so we made one with some old 7 speed chain and piece of angle iron that was laying around.

It ain't pretty but it worked like a champ.

The trick of course is getting the right spline tool and the best way is to just take the wheel with you to a bike shop.

Spline tools, jeesh, all the specialty bike tools, I'd bet I have $500 into just specialty tools to do one specific job.

Speaking of which I finally bought an HD chain breaker that will handle 415, 41 and even larger chain, no more grinding to break a big chain and pretty cheap, like $18 at Harbor Freight but they had to order it in to my local HF store.

Tools of the trade, gotta have 'em and ya just have to chalk it up to the cost of doing business.
Not bad if you build MB's for a living but it really sucks for all of you DIY guys that just want to build yourself a good ride and will never use the tool again.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I had to drill the center of my tool to 5/8 to get it yo clear the 14mm hub shaft om my MP2. I was afraid the tool would be really hardened and couldnt be drilled, but it wasnt a problem. My cassette was locked when I got the motor, they assembled it with out the spacer rings which were thankfully in the included parts bag.
The tool was hardened so we had to cut the 1/2" socket part off and weld a nut on the bottom.

Attachments

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It worked great and now is my favorite tool! Every time I had to remove my cassette, the guy at the bike shop said he doesn't have a spline tool that can fit over the axle so he has to damage the cassette in order to take it off. I took it to 3 different shops and no one had the right tool.

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thats too funny I see what you did now. Should work fine. Looks solid.Your tool will always be there!!!

Does the all thread axle have independent shims from that one that fasten to the frame? Reason I ask is that load will go to that sprocket's free wheel bearings then? I don't see the whole picture yet. Have not messed with this wheel so I am a taking notes.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
This reminds me of the time when I broke my key to my wheel locks on my truck. Dean welded a nut on my wheel locks. So we could remove my rims to change my tires.

It feels stronger than the original design.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Does the all thread axle have independent shims from that one that fasten to the frame? Reason I ask is that load will go to that sprocket's free wheel bearings then? I don't see the whole picture yet. Have not messed with this wheel so I am a taking notes.
I'm not sure what you mean by shims. I use one of my washers and put it between the frame and cassette that way when I'm on the smallest cog the chain doesn't rub against the frame. One thing I do need is a spacer or shim between the cassette and the MP3 because when the cassette gets too tight, the cassette locks up and becomes fixed.
Also I made torque arms so the wheel doesn't come off.