my new build

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I had a bad day Saturday. It's been nice and I haven't had a lot of time to take out the bike and just ride. So I got some new bolts for the fender stays since they were stripped, and put those on.

Then I installed my clutch actuator. It took FOREVER for me to get it adjusted properly. What was happening was my spring was too long which made it bunch up and let too much cable be free-playing. Took me a while to notice that....this is after swapping pins, and repeatedly adjusting the flower nut and everything else. The adjustment still isn't perfect. With the clutch handle in the locked position, if I lift the rear of the bike up, the tire will spin, so there's still some drag there. Next time I get a chance, I'll put my old pin back in and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, that took so much longer than I thought it would...took up most of my riding time. After doing my last test ride, I stopped the motor to let it cool a bit before I went on a ride, and it started pouring gas out of the carb. Ugh. So I took the carb apart and cleaned it and made sure the float was functioning properly, etc. By then my wife got home and all my free riding time had expired. :(

Oh, and speaking of gas pouring everywhere, my gas cap never used to leak. But it's leaking now. And the paint job on the gas tank is completely ruined. I guess that lacquer didn't hold up as well as I had hoped. I guess it gives me an excuse to do a better paint job (or just make an entirely new tank).

Jun 25, 2008
I had a bad day Saturday. It's been nice and I haven't had a lot of time to take out the bike and just ride. So I got some new bolts for the fender stays since they were stripped, and put those on.

Then I installed my clutch actuator. It took FOREVER for me to get it adjusted properly. What was happening was my spring was too long which made it bunch up and let too much cable be free-playing. Took me a while to notice that....this is after swapping pins, and repeatedly adjusting the flower nut and everything else. The adjustment still isn't perfect. With the clutch handle in the locked position, if I lift the rear of the bike up, the tire will spin, so there's still some drag there. Next time I get a chance, I'll put my old pin back in and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, that took so much longer than I thought it would...took up most of my riding time. After doing my last test ride, I stopped the motor to let it cool a bit before I went on a ride, and it started pouring gas out of the carb. Ugh. So I took the carb apart and cleaned it and made sure the float was functioning properly, etc. By then my wife got home and all my free riding time had expired. :(

Oh, and speaking of gas pouring everywhere, my gas cap never used to leak. But it's leaking now. And the paint job on the gas tank is completely ruined. I guess that lacquer didn't hold up as well as I had hoped. I guess it gives me an excuse to do a better paint job (or just make an entirely new tank).
Sounds like you need to find a high mountain and make a few sacrifices! Someone's not happy with you. Sending good juju your way. GO GOOD JUJU! GO! FIND THE STRICKEN RIDER!!!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
heh, thanks for the juju. Hopefully it gets across the pond in a hurry :)

I also forgot to add that I really won't be getting much more riding time for the next little while because I have to get ready to move. And since it's cold and snows randomly, I can't really ride it to work for a while (wanted to get it broken in and bugs worked out before that anyway). Might get a short ride in here and there, but not as much as I'd like :(

Oh well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
J,
Sorry to hear you had such a rotten Saturday.
I hope you get the bugs worked out by spring cause we need to get together. I'd really like to get the Colorado guys together some day in May or June. I'm not sure how many of us there are but I know Duane (thatsdax), Large Filipino, and there are several others around. You know, meet for breakfast somewhere and then go for a ride.
As for the gasoline eating your paint; Did you shoot a clear coat over your flames? When you redo it go to a painter or a paint supplier and tell them what you're doing. They will suggest a clear coat that will withstand gasoline. I'm not sure what's available out there in a rattle can but the pros will know. If not it couldn't cost much to have a painter shoot a couple of coats for you after you've done the artwork. I'll give my painter a call. He's very very proud of his work, as well he should be cause he's good, but I'm thinking of doing something on my tank too and I'd want him to shoot the clear coat. I'll get a price and a product name and let you know.
Tom

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Tom,

I did shoot a clear. I used Rust-o-leum Lacquer...like 5 coats. Probably should've done my homework on the clears before I chose that one.

I've heard using a clear made for engine blocks works well.

Oh well, at least it gives me a chance to try to do a better job on it :) Actually it gives me an excuse to just go ahead and make a new, bigger tank :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom,

I did shoot a clear. I used Rust-o-leum Lacquer...like 5 coats. Probably should've done my homework on the clears before I chose that one.

I've heard using a clear made for engine blocks works well.

Oh well, at least it gives me a chance to try to do a better job on it :) Actually it gives me an excuse to just go ahead and make a new, bigger tank :)
J,
Here is the guy who painted my sedan. John May Custom Paint
His name is John May and he's easy to talk to. Tell him you know the guy with the black Model 'A' Sedan. Ask him what he recommends for a gas resistant clear. I could call but then I'd have to remember what he said and I can't remember what I had for lunch today. He might have some good tips for you.
Tom

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
Good thing you live in a colder climate! It's a frickin miracle those plastic zip ties holding the muffler brackets haven't melted away yet...as soon as the cooler air disappears, so will your muffler! You should get some hose clamps to take their place...plastic and exhaust aren't meant to be anywhere near each other.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
J -

Yeah, I've been meaning to replace them with hose clamps, just to get them to hold more securely. Even on a warm day the muffler doesn't get that hot because it is so far back.

When SBP releases their tuned pipe I'll probably get one, so this setup doesn't really matter anyway :)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well I was able to take a nice little ride today.

I ended up removing the new actuator for the time being. There is something strange with my setup. Basically, with the proper pin in, the clutch properly engages and disengages when moving the arm by hand. But using the lever, the actuator arm doesn't return to it's home position, it stays in a bit because the spring doesn't have enough stiffness to return it and not "bend" out of shape. So basically the "new" home position is with the lever in a bit. So I have to adjust the star nut. But if I do that, there is some drag on the clutch with the lever all the way in. I'll have to come up with some type of remedy for that.

I need to do something with my speedo. The sender unit wobbles and I think it's throwing my speed off. I'll have to put a washer on there or something to keep it where it is. I was going down the road and the speedo said 30mph. The roadside "your speed" sign said 25. I'll have to check with my GPS unit later.

This current exhaust setup is just too darned loud. Oh well.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
So since the riser bars bent, I put my old straight bars on.

Well the straight bars have GOT to go. Don't like the leaning over position. I need to find a good 3.5" riser bar.

I took the bike for a nice 15mi ride today. I think my grip shifter is wearing out. Sometimes it won't shift when it clicks into place, and I either have to "tweak" it a bit, or just go to the next gear. This is only when shifting up though. It's like it's not letting enough slack off or anything.

During the ride it seemed like the bike just didn't have as much power as it should have. Got home and noticed oily fuel residue on the cylinder. Head gasket leak. Checked the head studs, looks like one's stripped. Not sure if it's just the nut or the stud yet, I'm letting the bike cool off.

Blah.