Li-ion/lifepo4?

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Dean and I have been going back and forth about this topic for a few weeks now. He said that according to some eBike manufactories that a Li-ion and Lifepo4 are the same. I told him that the chemistry are different and they are not the same. The guy I met today, his bike's battery has Lifepo4 on the side but says Li-ion on the top.
What are your thoughts on this?
Li-ion=Lifepo4?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yea, there's a couple few flavors of "lithium" and it can be confusing when retailers don't even know what they're selling lol;

lithium-ion battery (Li-ion battery or LIB) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery

In short, the specific differences are the cathode material, thermal stability & electrochemical performance - LiFePO4 batteries "have somewhat lower energy density but offers longer lifetimes, better power density (the rate that energy can be drawn from them) and are inherently safer."

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Barely,
Like you mentioned it is confusing when manufactories have both Li-ion and Lifepo4 stamped on their batteries. I knew in my heart they were different but when I saw my friend's nice eBike battery and saw both names on it, I started questioning myself.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No sweat lol - & it's good to question, I suspect there could be some shenanigans afoot when it comes to some ebike retailers, completed bikes in particular. There is a significant price difference with LiFePO4 sometimes being nearly twice as much as other "lithium" batteries due to their chemical composition, longevity & safety... and if folks think "lithium is lithium" there's some obvious wiggle room in the profit margin depending only on what sticker has been put on it...

...but I'll admit that could just be my tin foil hat whispering to me again lol, it could be as benign as a "one case fits all" scenario and they just don't bother to label differently, I s'pose it all depends on what's actually inside & how much was paid. If they really care, cracking open the case usually isn't difficult. Making small, careful cuts in the outer protective wrap, in the small valleys between the cells so there's no chance of damage/nicking the cells or wiring will allow the cell's casings to be examined and they're labeled/stamped with their composition & date of manufacture, sometimes with their additional specific specifications (volts/ah)... but it may not be in english ofc ;)