GPS Apps

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Not a GPS app, but I do use Google maps on my Iphone 5 which has a GPS feature that will guide you from place to place just like a GPS app.

I also have Speed Box (Speedometer app) which can track your speed and mileage.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Not a GPS app, but I do use Google maps on my Iphone 5 which has a GPS feature that will guide you from place to place just like a GPS app.

I also have Speed Box (Speedometer app) which can track your speed and mileage.
Have you been able to use that GPS app when there is no cell telephone service? I mean does the GPS in your Iphone have a stand alone GPS for real and does not need to have cell phone service you pay for.

Also I would really like it if the maps had those contour lines to tell how hilly an area is. I have seen OHV motorcycle trails with marker saying expert trail, but when not noted I would like to know in advance.

MT

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
@measuredtwice I'm not sure if the phones will work without service.

On MapMyRide.com you can set up a route and send it to your phone. The maps are there with or without GPS services. Online you can set the map to topographic, I don't know if you can transfer that over to the phone or not, but it will give you an elevation chart letting you know how high you're going to climb. I use it to basically check and see if my speedo is accurate but also to map out interesting routes before I leave the house so I have an idea of where I'm going to go and so I can avoid dangerous intersections and accident prone areas of the city.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Have you been able to use that GPS app when there is no cell telephone service? I mean does the GPS in your Iphone have a stand alone GPS for real and does not need to have cell phone service you pay for.

Also I would really like it if the maps had those contour lines to tell how hilly an area is. I have seen OHV motorcycle trails with marker saying expert trail, but when not noted I would like to know in advance.

MT
I believe they have a real GPS in the iPhone, but I don't know if it works without cell service. I guess I could try it in airplane mode.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Well I can tell you in airplane mode none of the GPS apps work, though I don't really know what airplane mode shuts down. For all I know it turns off the GPS on the iPhone 5.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I think your right. The GPS even though it is a receiver and does not send out RF signals intentionally, it is actually making enough RF noise that they are concerned about adversely affecting stuff on airplanes that could compromise safety.

I got http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/ MotionX GPS for 99cents for my Iphone. I have not got the maps to work with the contour lines or streets yet. I think I have to figure out how to down load them right, but I hope no additional cost.

I did also find that with my Cell Phone Service off (just like Tower Signals out of range), and Wi-Fi Off, but with airplane mode on, the GPS although location services were on the GPS never locked on.

Turning off Airplane Mode with out cell phone service and without Wi-Fi did locate an lock on with the GPS. I did some tracking mode, navigate, speed est time arrival... all the goodies, but still the map overlays with streets, contour lines, ect. have to figure out.

I think Airplane mode just has to be off and I'm too far from both Cell Towers and Wi-Fi access to really give this app a try to see if it works with only Satellites in a clear Sky View.

I've heard it could take 30 minutes to get the GPS to work with only the Satellites, but once there locked on it it should hopefully work continuously as long as a good sky view. That could be done in the desert or ocean, but with tall buildings or a forest of tall trees it may not work well.

Just because I have no cell phone paid for service for my Iphone does not mean that the Iphone does not get cell tower signals that help the GPS work better as long as Airplane Mode is OFF. I saws a full signal strength for the antenna meter with Airplane Mode OFF, but nothing with it on.

I guess even for free the cell towers offer help to the GPS in the Iphone, just don't expect anything much more than that!

MT

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Airplane mode turns off your data connection, which means no calls, no texts, no web, no gps. It allows for emergency calls, but thats it. I have an Android phone that the service has been discontinued on. The gps works fine for speedometer apps, and I use the free version of Ulysse speedometer.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Airplane mode turns off your data connection, which means no calls, no texts, no web, no gps. It allows for emergency calls, but thats it. I have an Android phone that the service has been discontinued on. The gps works fine for speedometer apps, and I use the free version of Ulysse speedometer.
That is what I kind of thought Airplane mode did, good to know.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I bought the B.iCycle app this weekend and its pretty cool.
It has: MPH, Trip distance, total distance, average speed, max speed, climbed altitude and current altitude. It also emails you the data on every ride and it has a map of the route you took.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm going to check that out! Question, did the maps already come with the initial program and if not do they cost an additional fee?

MT

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The mapping came with the app. It was only $9.99 for the app but that's still cheaper than a bicycle speedo/odometer. It works for both running and biking.
It's cool because my son went running today because he's getting ready for x country. It showed his average speed, miles he ran, calories burned and the path he took.