biker build offs

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i think we could divide it into two classes, finished and in the works, have the admins who arent entering judge the prelims, and then have the forum member vote for the winner. and if people want we could do theme builds, 70s fab, rat, new school, low rider, what ever

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
i think we could divide it into two classes, finished and in the works, have the admins who arent entering judge the prelims, and then have the forum member vote for the winner. and if people want we could do theme builds, 70s fab, rat, new school, low rider, what ever
Sounds cool to me as I would love to enter my 58' Wasp into the 2 stroker.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
They used to hold build-offs 'round here, but I guess they lost steam, and/or ppl lost interest. But that was a couple+ years ago. Exibit 2009.

I'd be into a friendly build-off among peers, and surely we have a fresh group of ppl who'd be interested around lately. Especially now that winter's upon us...

I'm up for it, let's get this in gear :D

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i think i could work on a smoker for this, so whats the plan? theme build of some kind? or a dual build off, one for built rides to compete and one for people to build a ride from scratch?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Sounds like fun. How do we go about making some rules/guidelines that keep it fun and somewhat objective? So far there has been suggestions for existing and new builds, and two or four stroke engine. Do we break it down the same as the forum sub-groups? What about re-entry? Should there be no re-entry, a time buffer, minimum required reworking of the bike, no re-entry of winners or top three, anyone can re-enter at any time and it's up to the next guy to "dethrone" them? What about the cruisers that are heavily mod'd frame up build vs an assembled bike even if the later is mostly non-OEM? Same class? Perhaps there's a build off contest with fairly specific guidelines for the end result and an ongoing "forum readers favorites" where the bike, the phototography, whatever can be considered.

I'm just throwing a bunch of stuff out there to see what what sticks. No preference really as it all sounds like fun.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I will enter my completed bike.
...dunno if that's how a "build off" works - as folks wouldn't need to "build" a bike?

Anyhoo, build offs are great, here's some info if it helps;

...We're also less formal here, a bit more laid back so there's no need to ask permission to hold a build off, there's no staff involvement unless requested (other'n forum rules ofc). It's just a matter of deciding what class/type of bikes, the rules concerning entrants, the beginning & end dates & then creating a thread in the appropriate subforum, choppers, cruisers, rats, trackers, w/e... Two threads, one for rule establishment, suggestions & entry requests (later becoming handy for non-entrant build discussion) and one for the actual build off is suggested, ofc the staff here is at your disposal for maintaining those threads (off topic/non entrant/moderation) should it be needed.

...we very much encourage member (non vendor) hosted & judged events, or at least a poll to determine the winner as this helps eliminate any question of product bias and to insure a fair, friendly competition.

...for now the type/class subforums are suggested or even our Event section should it be a multiple class competition, we can always move threads should it be become necessary.

Please do contact any of the staff here should you wish assistance for any reason, even suggestions concerning rules, classes and other parameters, or simple thread/post maintenance - we're more than willing to aid any event in any way we can :)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
This should answer that, but anyhoo.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I spent the last two years trying to get my bike built the way I wanted, and only recently finished it, so I think after two years working on it, it deserves a chance to run in a contest. If I dont win, thats cool. I probably wont. I just want the chance to be a contender.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
by all means feel free to enter 3Bman, finished is finished. So is Barely's "test bike", and azbill's grandchildren hauler, scotto's race bike, biknut's every build....Biardco's every build and the list goes on :)

Gah, I'm talking myself into a hole, maybe bike's in progress as of umm Halloween or something, I have no idea how to regulate such a thing.

But me and Mooner were talking about doing some cool things for eventual prizes. I'm handy with researching/applying wild paint techniques and he works in a plating shop, but I don't want to give too much away eh :p

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
One thing I think should be put in here is a division between kit builds and DYI's. Then keep the build off simple such as:

2 stroke, 4 stroke, kit, DYI (finished and almost finished)
Old school (theme builds), New School, rat, lower rider and go wild (ie doesn't fit in other types)

Pictures of the bike are a given and if you have build pictures even better.
To help I think each builder should create a build album under their profile. The builder could also create their own build thread where others can make comments to keep it out of the official build off thread. Then of course have an official build off general chat thread.

Just some thoughts is all, hope they help...

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
soo many ideas! lol. you guys want to set up a january tooooo um, maybe march build off, 3 months of winter building, this one for fresh start builds. we could start a bit of a contest with some finished bikes if you guys want, but i want to start a fresh build lol. so what should we do for a theme? or just wing it, also, do we allow frame mods? or hold two sub-divisions, stock frame and unlimited maybe? not every one has access to a welder, so it seems a bit unfair to put a full blown custom frame against a stock frame.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Personally I don't care if custom frames are allowed or not. Some of the stock frames are just as cool as custom frames.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
It seems like this could get really complicated if we let it. Perhaps there's room for two types of build competitions. New where it's a build specifically for the contest, and existing bikes where those of us that tweak the same bike multiple times can compete.

Another thought is to do away with categories. I know my bike won't show well against the best that I have seen posted here but I don't really care. The fun would be in showing the bike and in recognizing the very best on the forum. Some people have deeper pockets, some do this for a living or might enter client financed bikes. That's OK with me too. The higher the bar is set the better. I would imagine that selling a prize winning bike or being a builder that has been recognized would have value. My concern in having too many classes is that the goal becomes recognizing everyone's efforts in order to be nice or inclusive. The prize should be in winning and the award would be a bonus. Participating has its own rewards.