Flower nut!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How about a couple or three stickies saying "DO NOT ADJUST THE FLOWER NUT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE WHAT IT DOES, AND IF IT EVEN NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED"?

I have seen time and time again people "advising" other to adjust the flower nut, and 99% of the time the "adviser" has no idea what it does, or why it's "adjusted".

Please?
:)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
So your saying that telling people blindly to "adjust the flower nut" and the chaos that ensues is the proper way to go?

If there was a sticky saying "Before you do this..." it would save a lot of hassle.

If you read around your forum, you'd see dozens of posts (most from noobs) casually saying "adjust the flower nut", mostly because the READ IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. It just perpetuating a problem.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'll only add that the flower nut rarely, if ever needs to be ''adjusted'', and most people do not have a clear idea of what it actually does.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
So your saying that telling people blindly to "adjust the flower nut" and the chaos that ensues is the proper way to go?
No, what's being said is that warning people that something is to be avoided without even knowing what their problem may be is both unnecessary and misleading.

Adjusting the "flower nut" is a very basic procedure, one that is clearly illustrated in the above linked stickies and one that shouldn't be avoided or feared if it is needed. Linking & reading those stickies should help ascertain if that is indeed the problem and if so - how to proceed.

Whether or not it's the correct solution for the problem at hand is unknowable until it's asked.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Aw shucks!

Here in the Tavern, under a heading of Suggestions, I really enjoy round table presentations.

It's a real informal method of sharing thoughts and ideas.
Maybe it will help someone, maybe not, but should get other people to think and maybe contribute their view, which may in turn help someone else!

it's all good

The flower nut on a china girls ain't nuthin so teknicul.
It just compensates for wear in a crude pusher system.

Adjust it so it has a tad of freeplay, no more, and yer good to go.
Too much and u'll quickly figger u gotta back it off some.

Best
rc

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No, what's being said is that warning people that something is to be avoided without even knowing what their problem may be is both unnecessary and misleading.

Adjusting the "flower nut" is a very basic procedure, one that is clearly illustrated in the above linked stickies and one that shouldn't be avoided or feared if it is needed. Linking & reading those stickies should help ascertain if that is indeed the problem and if so - how to proceed.

Whether or not it's the correct solution for the problem at hand is unknowable until it's asked.
I spend HOURS helping people who "adjust the flower nut" because someone told them to do it, even though they didn't "ascertain" whether or not it needed to be done.

This would be the same as telling someone to "adjust your carb" without knowing if it needs to be done, which doesn't happen very often.

But, since it (suggestion) is falling on dead ears, I guess you'll do whatever you want.

It was a suggestion, nothing more, nothing less.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., I'll try to be more clear barely,

Maybe a sticky saying "Do you really need to adjust the flower nut? Looky here to ascertain whether that's really needed before you screw something up for no reason".

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Maybe enough people will find this exchange entertaining enough that they will at least look at those links and "ascertain" whether it needs to be "adjusted"? :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
O.K., I'll try to be more clear barely,

Maybe a sticky saying "Do you really need to adjust the flower nut? Looky here to ascertain whether that's really needed before you screw something up for no reason".
I don't think making another sticky to link, a sticky that links to a sticky so you can read a sticky about the sticky that's linked to then read another sticky is going to help clear things up, particularly if they're not inclined to read a sticky in the first place ;)

It's covered lol

Status
Not open for further replies.