Proof that cable locks are garbage

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My brother recently moved out of state and left a full suspension mountain bike in a storage unit here. Yesterday he allowed me to go pick it up so that I may use it. He left a cable lock on it, and I am sure that he took the key with him. I didnt want to leave his lock on there, because I dont want people to think I stole it. So I went in my toolbox and got a tube cutter. Some of you may not know what a tube cutter is. It is a small tool that is normally used to cut thin tubing such as brake lines, metal fuel lines, etc. Now, the cable lock my brother had is a Master Lock type. I tried picking the lock, but there was no joy to be had in that endeavor. I do have a hacksaw, but it was down in my basement and this was around midnight last night so I didnt feel like going down to the basement. Its outside entrance only, and the doors are kind of loud. So I decided to see if the tube cutter would cut through the cable, and it did. So you can literally cut through a cable lock with a tube cutter that can be picked up at any auto parts store for a few bucks. Moral of the story? never use cable locks if you care about your bike. I have a heavy steel chain to lock up my motorbike.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
A cordless angle grinder will pretty much cut through anything you lock a bike with.......you can't rely on any lock if the theif wants your bike bad enough. Try to keep your bike within sight if at all possible for any length of time.

Nothing is worse than losing your prized possession and cheap means of transportation. Just say "no" to thieves!

Reactions: PeteJ

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I went to Lowe's and asked for 3 feet of the heaviest chain they had. It weighs more than 5 pounds, maybe even 10 lbs. It would take more than an angle grinder to cut through it. My padlock is case hardened. I am sure an angle grinder would cut through my lock, but an angle grinder would probably cut through any padlock. I also park my bike right in front of my house, and if anyone were using power tools, I would definitely hear it. If someone really wanted to steal my bike, they would have to work very hard to steal it. It wouldnt be a crime of opportunity. It would be stolen by someone who really wanted it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A cordless angle grinder will pretty much cut through anything you lock a bike with.......you can't rely on any lock if the theif wants your bike bad enough. Try to keep your bike within sight if at all possible for any length of time.

Nothing is worse than losing your prized possession and cheap means of transportation. Just say "no" to thieves!
I concur! Locks are only to keep honest people honest! Any lock can be cut in a few seconds using a grinder with a cut off wheel. :(

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

That's why I'm pretty sure the only good security is GPS tracking like the "mogo tracker". No subscription, just buy the unit and fit it somewhere then if it gets stolen, report it to police and they can GPS it. Or pay a few bucks a month and get access to live online tracking and logging with alerts so if your bike goes over it's top speed (e.g. is in the back of a thieving truck) or out of the area you get a text.

Once I have my dream ebike, I'm going to protect it like my firstborn child-- full-suspension downhill mountain bike frame, hydraulic brakes, HD wheels (11/12ga), lots of welding, $2.2k in batteries, $700 Astro motor, reduction, ~$1000 BMS and FOC system for max efficiency, power, and maximum battery cycle lifetime (80% capacity @ 2500 cycles @ 100% DOD, minimum 118 miles/cycle)... it's going to be a bike that I'll never be able to afford to lose. I'm going to get a good GPS tracker so "letting it out of my sight" isn't even an issue =)

For now, my heavy duty chain has already repelled the bolt-cutters of thieves =)

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
The worst fencer I've ever been shocked by was a 5000 volt line-- continuous, not pulsed like some cheaper new fencers are. First time turned me arm to spaghetti for about a minute, the second time was just about as bad... through leather gloves! =o Either way, I'd love it if that was practical =)

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
JonnyR, you can buy motorcycle alarms with little OLED alarm fobs (keyring alarms) that alert you if someone moves/bumps/messes with your bike. Quite tempting but like anything it's still not foolproof for storage. Some of us don't have garages =/

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If you electrify your bike, you better never forget to turn it off before riding, lol. I haven't had any problems with anybody messing with my bike yet. even forgot to lock it up once and it was unlocked all night. Cant believe nobody stole it lol.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I live really close to a college campus-- unfortunately, first month of the year nobody knows who's who, so they're crawling around this block. Bikes getting stolen left and right. 4 dozen reported within two miles during just 2 weeks.