Gear ratio for scooter?

GoldenMotor.com

deepsnipe

Oct 21, 2008
earth
Hi Guys. I need help setting up the chain on this scooter. I got the scooter with a 45 tooth rear sprocket and I would like to know what whats a good gear ratio for this scooter using a 43cc chainsaw motor and weighing 190 lbs? I would like it to have alot of top end power but not to weak down low. I also need to know whats the best way to connect the chain the the chainsaw? Can I get a new centrifugal clutch cover or do I got the mod mine?

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I think that if you want to use that clutch cover you will have to mod it... I"ve not used a chainsaw before but I've read that the way the teeth are on it won't work for a bike chain that the chainsaw chain is way different than bike chain...

In 1988 I had a scooter a lot like that one. It would have been way cooler motorized, as was it wasn't very fun at all. I think my father may still have the blasted thing in his barn. Last time I went to visit he still had my 1980s huffy women's road bike in that late 70's early 80s dusty blue everything was back then.

deepsnipe

Oct 21, 2008
earth
Thanks for the calulator link that will come in handy. But I need to know a good ratio to use not how to find it. What do you all think about 10:1 or 12:1? The scooter has 12 inch tires.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The calculator will help you figure that out. RPMs+ratio+wheel size= speed. It will give you options.

Ocscully, Thanks again for that. I had zero understanding of the concept. Using that I designed a really Cool (and hopefully working) gear box for 4 strokes. Will sit behind the seat tube. Took me 4 hours and was pulling my hair out. When I "got" it, it was like "Eureka!" LOL.

Last edited: