LF's Trike powered by TITAN Front Wheel Drive!

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
No video's yet for I had little glitches. This had a very happy ending so bear with me here.
Here's the initial install using the carrier brackets. Then off for a test ride! Suddenly my chain got all loose. Scratching my head and tightened it down and rode off. Then it loosened again. Turns out since my forks are really thin I really can't get a good hold and the carrier slides down loosening the chain and interfering with my chain. .kick2

So I walk it home and did a fix. That's the next post.

Oh and here's my front brake! It didn't work so well as of now because my front rim is saturated with oil that leaked off the hub when I added some in the oil hole. It holds tight though. I need to clean it up and maybe get better pads and saw off that excess bolt.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
So my fix is mounting it back on the axle. In this arrangement it really keeps things level and it's still not too hard to change a tire. And it lowers the carrier back down.
I gotta spend a little time tomorrow adjusting that chain. Every now and then I hear a click. Not a problem.

The ride is cool. I still pedal off for this is a heavy bike and at first 2nd gear skipped but I find myself between gears Just a click on the bar shifter and I'm golden. Top gear is neat because my engine now purrs along at cruising speed.
I'll make a video tomorrow.

Attachments

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I liked that cool in more then one way cool video and the gears, Wish I could change gears now. That has some power, Nice build!!

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Oh it's low enough but as far as speed goes I can wind out that engine just pedaling in that gear! But it's nice to be able to climb hills.
I haven't tried yet but I have a HUGE hill down my road.
2nd gear is almost identical to my previous gearing and third gear is similar to the gearing it was when you rode it.
Because of that massive 20 tooth sprocket on the jackshaft and the small 19 tooth on the wheel (actually not too bad for it's a 20 inch wheel) I'm asking quite a lot from the 10 tooth jackshaft sprocket that directly drives the wheel. But I fixed it by adding a long allen bolt to the empty screw hole close to the sprocket. I chose a longer bolt for it allows a deeper hole where the allen wrench sits so it gives more strength when turning and less of a chance of stripping. Before that it kept slipping on the shaft and I was afraid to tighten down that bolt too tight for it may tear off but with the added bolt it's holding fine now!
It's not a problem at all when that sprocket is driving a 44 tooth sprocket but with the double torque the 20 tooth generates over the stock 10 tooth that links to the engine it needed that extra bolt.
If I weighed 100 pounds less and knocked some weight off the trike it would really fly. 3rd gear the engine has so much more but I fear my brakes failing again even though I have that massive chain,but there's a small chain still under the bike that drives from the coaster hub to the axle hub. And that front break I need to improve upon.
But I would say 35 is definitely doable. On that video I was doing probably 25 mph in 3rd gear and that's with the engine purring.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
wow.. That is pretty fast.. When I rode it, I felt that the gearing was high for sure. It seemed geared for speed. I think that the 3 speed hub is a great Idea. I think that using a hub or a shifter kit is not the same as an engine transmission. So..I feel that using a shifter kit or 3 speed hub is using the bicycles gears to shift. This means the engine still has no transmission so it is still a bicycle. That is how I see it. When an engine has a transmission, it no longer qualifies as a bicycle. But using the bicycles free wheel or hub for gear changing I feel that is not an engine transmission since it is using the bicycles gears and so it qualifies as being a bicycle still. That is how I see it anyway.. Thanks..

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Dax, depends on the cop's/judge's definition of "transmission."

4. Machinery.
a. transference of force between machines or mechanisms, often with changes of torque and speed.
b. a compact, enclosed unit of gears or the like for this purpose, as in an automobile.

That's why a lot of states say "operable gears," etc.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
When people see my bike for the first time they don't even notice the gears. They actually thought I had gears when I had that 5 speed hub wheel on there.
I should be okay in this state. I still don't go fast.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I was going to start a new thread but thought I would just continue on with this so people know the extent of modifications I have done to this thing.
It's going along slowly but the pics say more than I can.
1) Original Worksman wheel replaced with a 16 inch kiddie wheel because my Briggs and Stratton engine has no reduction gear. And that's a 60 tooth wheel picked up from I think a member here off of e bay.
2) The lower wheel brings the pedals down. But with just a coster brake and not working so well maybe being able to drag my pedal on the ground with just a twitch of my ankle may be a good thing lol.
3) Another close up.
4) This plate is going to need to be flipped over. And then I'll still need to drill two more holes after I adjust the chain.
5) Freewheel hub adds another reduction. It's actually geared lower than a friction drive. So maybe I'll go back to a 20 inch when all is said and done.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
The rest of the pics.
1) The 30 dollar Briggs and Stratton engine I bought from the guy at the Flea Market that had an entire pallet of them.
He was desperate for cash. He originally wanted 60 bucks. Virgin engine never had oil or gas in it. Runs really good.
Centrifugal clutch from what go cart people use.
2) This pic shows why i need to flip my plate so the chain will line up.
3) Oh dear. It's gonna be hard to disguise this as anything smaller than a 148 cc engine. But I need to know how it's gonna run.
And I need to see if i can get legal. Even if it means lights and turn signals. Will update down the road if I will be allowed to register this as a 148cc scooter.
Or maybe I can find some pics on the internets showing a reduction sleeve and a 50cc piston going in an engine like this and then say this is how this engine is...:)
4) Another angle.
5) Pic that shows how much wider this engine's mounting holes are.

I have enough right now for a full assembly. Just need to put in some hours. And I've been watching videos after videos surrounding throttle cable.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Thanks Steve! I let my toys sit for a couple of years. Finding this engine at the flea market brought it all back. I have two Titan engines. One meant for this trike and the other one on Cronus. And my son had bought Dax's other full build a few years ago and that's also still running.
One of my Titan's though would cut off sometimes. But it probably just needs a good cleaning and valve adjustment.
But my direction for this trike now is 100% Made in the USA.
This engine has been discontinued from B&S so my thought is that this is not a Chinese B&S.
And the Dax carrier is made here.
And it's a Worksman trike.
Maybe I'll buy an America %^$% Yea bumper sticker.....

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Oh snap.
Staring at this pic.
Can anyone tell me what's seriously wrong with this pic?
I'll just need to flip everything then!
Hahahahaha!!

But at least the exhaust will exit the right way.....
Hopefully there will be enough clearance close to my gooseneck.
And will look better tucked up.

Y'all catch it yet?

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When you mentioned it I had to look and then laughed. The motor I'm using is a Jacobsen 2 stroke snow blower motor and the carb is on the bottom so it runs into the crank case. It looks like a giant model airplane motor.
When I was making the motor mounts I has a piece of red plastic tape tied to the crank so if I didn't see the tape I knew it was in the wrong way.

I had to remember to remove the tape when I took photos so no one knew.

Steve.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Couple more pics today. When I flipped the freewheel sprocket to the other side it's spinning in the wrong direction. So I stuck the original 10 tooth back in. It's still pretty good gearing.
Turns out I'll need to drill 3 holes. But not till I can set the chain from engine to carrier shaft.
And my son has my heavy duty chain breaker at his house.
Hopefully he'll remember to bring it tomorrow.
This ain't no little engine which has me a little worried.
But it tucks up nicely now.
Brakes is really what worries me.
One pull start. But when I bypass the governor at full speed I'm hearing some backfiring. But that's at redline lol.
I'm having too much fun man!
I need to cut the lawn.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Dude. This thing is fugly and sick.
I LOVE it! I can see it smoking the front tire up hills....

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Bicycle chain is not staying on the sprocket even after truing it against the rubber mounts and adjusting the top sprocket. So I'll replace it with a wide #41 chain. The brake band is in the mail.
So basically just the brake install and the throttle. Oh and that drilling into that thick plate. I have cobalt drill bits and cutting oil. I hear slow speed on the drill cuts best. Might just go ahead and get the throttle kit designed for a B&S 5 horse at E bay which is essentially the same setup as this engine. It's overall cheaper than fabricating parts from Lowes. And it's the right spring rate and all that. So no real thinking there. Hopefully just mount and go.
In about a week I hope to be testing it out.
Then I'm going to look into lights.
Brake light I can rig a switch to the band brakes I think.
I've seen choppers out here with no turn signals or speedometers,so I may be okay with just a headlight and a brake light.
Yes I'm really going to try to register this as a 149cc scooter.
Because I'd rather stay legal than lie to a cop.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You can get a safety switch 12v from a lawn tractor, can be hook up anywhere even a small stop on the cable will activate it.
Have you used a strieght edge on the sprockets to make sure they are inline?.........Curt