Clutch not disengaging the motor properly

GoldenMotor.com

golkes16

May 13, 2012
Southern Wisconsin
I am having a problem with my clutch not disengaging the motor properly. The clutch starts out perfect with the motor fully engaged when the lever is all the way out and disengaging when the lever is pulled or in the lock position. After trying to ride down the road, even the quarter mile to the stop sign down the street, when i try to pull the clutch lever the motor will not disengage no matter how much the lever is pulled in. I just kept going and ended up doing a few tight left turn circles, counter clockwise, to try and slow my speed down without killing the motor, the clutch then worked again. Does anyone know how to fix this issue to get a properly working clutch again?

Btw it is a 80cc boygofast engine kit

please help because im sick of doing dnut every time i pull up to a stop light/sign

golkes16

May 13, 2012
Southern Wisconsin
The arm starts initially parallel to to the clutch arm housing with the cable tight and moves just like it did before the issue started, however, when the clutch won't disengage the motor, it is still parallel to the housing still but will not have any pressure on the lever until almost fully pulled. Is there a spring that pushes against the pin that the clutch arm pushes against?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The arm starts initially parallel to to the clutch arm housing with the cable tight and moves just like it did before the issue started, however, when the clutch won't disengage the motor, it is still parallel to the housing still but will not have any pressure on the lever until almost fully pulled. Is there a spring that pushes against the pin that the clutch arm pushes against?
Pull the clutch arm cover off and inspect both the bearing and bucking bar. Sometimes the bar wears. There is a spring between the clutch gear and pressure plate. Here is the clutch shaft.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cable stretch can account for this problem too. You can adjust it properly and within several days the cable will stretch and not give you full travel. On new cables I like to leave the clutch lever locked in the disengaged position when the bike is parked. That way the normal stretch will be eliminated quicker. It seems with most that after a few intitial adjustments it finds it's 'sweet spot' and won't require adjustment as often, or at all afterwards.
You can replace the kit supplied cable with a better quality cable that won't stretch as much but they aren't cheap. If you're on a budget the kit cable will work but be prepeared to adjust the tension more often, especially when new.

Tom