"Schwinn" front sproket on any one piece crank??

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hi Guys. Im looking a a smaller front sproket for my upcoming Felt Twin build and I have found a nice one. BUT I also have heard things on this forum and elsewere that some or many Schwinn parts are not interchangable between breeds. Will a front pedal sproket from a Schwinn Stingray fit a one piece crank? Thanks in advance...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It should. I've swapped any number of sprockets around and they pretty much all fit with the exception of the extra wide one piece crank being sold by I forget. That one has a hexagonal center and requires the same in a sprocket if you go to another size (like smaller for engine clearance), so I file out a schwinn or whatever from round to hexagonal to fit.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
never saw the hexagon ones silverbear is talking about, but all one piece cranks and sprockets since about 1940 are interchangeable.

there might be a few oddballs out there, but i've never come across one except for a 1936 bike i have. and it was actually from a 2 piece crank ( and those cranks weren't made after 1940.)