My bike will not move

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I have a green beach cruiser. When i pedal, the rear wheel does not turn.
I assume the hub is broken. Can i get some instructions on how to fix this myself i dont have money to pay for it to get fixed at a bicycle shop.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Sheldon Brown's website is great, a whole lot of information there. Unfortunately he has passed away, but the site lives on to pass on the info to us all... I am very thankful his site is still available, I have referred to it many many times...

That said, does this green beach cruiser of yours have a motor on it? If so, you need to eliminate the motor drive train as your problem before you assume it is your hub.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Maybe just a little information on what you have would help us make some recommendations. Does it have an engine? What kind? Chain drive or friction? Telling us the color of the bike isn't much help.
Tom

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Maybe just a little information on what you have would help us make some recommendations. Does it have an engine? What kind? Chain drive or friction? Telling us the color of the bike isn't much help.
Tom
Yes it has a grubee gt5 engine kit on it but i have removed the left side chain so its definatly the hub thats busted

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Yes it has a grubee gt5 engine kit on it but i have removed the left side chain so its definatly the hub thats busted
and we are to read your mind what HUB you have right???? coaster brake hub.... 3speed hub...freewheel...cassette

help us help you or you may not get any help
did you install a shift kit??

in order to help you these are things we need to know

If it's a Huffy beachcruiser,....I'd suggest pulling the rear hub and taking a peek. I bought a Panama Jack cruiser a few years ago and the ,..dare I say,..."intelligent" folks at walmart that put the thing together decided the rear hub didn't need any grease!,..lol..Hub was completely dry,......Fried it in about 3 rides!..had to get a whole new wheel.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
well, if you got a green bike then the black thingamajig must be your problem....

All joking aside, the poster needs to give better information if he wants someone to help him via the internet.

From the little info that has been posted it seems he has a Grubee kit installed, with the motor chain removed, and the rear wheel wont turn. So he is dealing with a bicycle issue that has nothing to do with his motor assist system....

That said, I would guess the most obvious thing to check would be the brakes! Does it have a coaster brake?

First thing I would do is pull the rear wheel off the bike, at this point it should be pretty simple to see how the wheel should roll on the axle, if it doesn't then you are holding your problem! From there you need to take the wheel to a clean work space and do some investigation, you might need to pull the axle and see what is going on in there...

A year or so of reading posts from newbies has taught me not to overlook the obvious. Is your (motor side) chain tensioner jammed in your spokes? Are your brakes jammed? etc, etc...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Easy guys. Not everyone is an expert. Not everyone is a champion poster on the web. When problems arise, sometimes we need help. Deep breath all.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If it is a coaster brake, you may have got something a little funky when you installed the sprocket/rag joint. Is the dust cover binding up? Could be....

I for one (Godfather of motorized bikes) have had my fair share of problems when it comes to mounting up a sprocket on a coaster brake wheel.

One even got launched across the road, where all bad things go.
:)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Most everyone has a camera, most have one on their phone. What may help you is take a lot of pics as you take the rear hub apart so you know where each part goes.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If it's a Huffy beachcruiser,....I'd suggest pulling the rear hub and taking a peek. I bought a Panama Jack cruiser a few years ago and the ,..dare I say,..."intelligent" folks at walmart that put the thing together decided the rear hub didn't need any grease!,..lol..Hub was completely dry,......Fried it in about 3 rides!..had to get a whole new wheel.
Walmart only attaches the front wheel and handlebars on a new bike.
Any grease would/ should have been put in at the factory in China.
Walmart has no tools (cone wrenches) to even open up a hub to do any sort of service work inside them.

As for Social's locked up rear wheel, I am betting it's overtightened cones and locked up bearings or fried bearing grease.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
There's just lots of reasons to buy from a local bike store, and reputable vendors, as opposed to the discount offerings...

and the fellows bike is probably STILL not rolling!

Really wish we could help!

Keyboard communicating really is difficult...

Good luck
rc

Status
Not open for further replies.