Motorized Bicycle with a Briggs or Tecumseh engine

GoldenMotor.com

mrhite65

Sep 24, 2008
KANSAS
Re: MB with a Briggs or Tecumseh engine

The problem with those setups is I need to keep the pedals working on the bike. Without them, the bike is illegal in Kansas as a motorized bicycle. If I go that direction I'll just have to get the 4 cycle engine kit.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Does the law say "has to have peddles" or peddles that work? Could leave them on the bike at the fore and aft position (9 & 3 o'clock) and still frame mount. That big an engine would not do well rack mounted on a non recumbent. Another option would be a pusher motor.

Do you have a link to the law concerning this? I live in CT and in the '90s they got rid of having to have peddles and still be a bicycle with motor assistance clause.

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE

Look at the SBP shift kit. Its only a simple Jacshaft kit with a freewheel for the 2nd sprocket. Thats what you want right there.(c)

mrhite65

Sep 24, 2008
KANSAS

8-126 - Kansas 8-126 - Kansas Code :: Justia
(aa) "Motorized bicycle" means every device having two tandem wheels or three wheels, which may be propelled by either human power or helper motor, or by both, and which has:

(1) A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower;

(2) a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters;

(3) an automatic transmission; and

(4) the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
It really doesn't say it here because of the "or" but, I've seen it.
Here is the list for Kansas MB Statutes

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

8-126 - Kansas 8-126 - Kansas Code :: Justia
(aa) "Motorized bicycle" means every device having two tandem wheels or three wheels, which may be propelled by either human power or helper motor, or by both, and which has:

(1) A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower;

(2) a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters;

(3) an automatic transmission; and

(4) the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
It really doesn't say it here because of the "or" but, I've seen it.
Here is the list for Kansas MB Statutes
I have to reread this. (bad day and out of pain pills) But I think it is saying if you can "Flintstone" it, then it is still under the rule. More importantly, makes for a good argument in court if it should arise. If you site a statute supporting your point that your MB is completely legal, no peace officer will bother you. well, untill s/he looks it up. Then it is still so gray that I doubt they would bother pursuing it at all.

JUST MY OPINION!!! NOT IN ANY WAY ADVICE!!!!!!

LOL, now I am gonna go read your states legal stuff. But looks like your ok. If your gonna go with that much engine, why not go scooter or MC? just wondering...

Last edited:

mrhite65

Sep 24, 2008
KANSAS

Because you have to register a scooter or MC. Plus, with the MC you have to have a MC license. With the MB you just need your Drivers license or a moped license.

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE

Delaware's law is stated this way as well, almost word for word. Pedals are not necessary, but an option. So....Pull/kick starter or even electric....centrifigal clutch or NuVinci and youve got it made.()

****Whoops....think I got this in the wrong spot****

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I can't find were peddles are required. Human propelled comes up a lot though.

Love the thought of the "Flintstone" defense. "Run Barny!"

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Here Is A Thought!! You Can Go To College And Get An Education, Learn From The School Of Hard Knocks "or" Join This Forum!! Love This Place. Ron

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas

hehe, cracked me up.

"I got tire damage on the road less traveled to the school of hard knocks"
That looks slightly oxymoronic to me. I would figure that road to be an 8 lane freeway.

But that's what gets us to thinking. Sometimes it's best to not try explaining myself (like now?).

Ted