Dellorto 14:12 My first carb and throttle change out

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Dellorto 14:12 My first carb and throttle change out

I had my bike flop over into the dirt throttle handle first when i was changing a flat a month ago and soon discovered that the cable had ripped from it's plastic holder inside the throttle body.
This allowed for some issues and I decided to fix that as soon as i had some down time.

Mind ya, I am generally new to MaBs and this is a venture into unknown territory.

So let me run down what I have on hand.

1.) a Throttle from Sick Bike that is the pulley with the see through window type. Type M I think it is called if I am not mistaken.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=119&osCsid=pe2hror1dj5iv872v7tcn289a1

Also after looking at the NT I was not in favor of that carb. I didn't like how it looked or felt.

So here I am with a new cable, throttle body and a new carb.

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca

My first issue comes with what is a proper mounting and re-assembly of the unit.

I took out the top two screws and separated the top and spring. The small handle has something to do with the choke and I need to ask about that as well.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca

Now once the top, spring and choke lever are removed there is the air flap? What is the proper term? Gate?

An in that piece is a place to hook the cable end in.

My First question is do I simply hook it in ( as logic would assume ) or am I supposed to lace the cable through the far side and then lock it in place.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW !

that's a nice looking throttle, and carb !!!
I gotta get me one a them!

tnx for the great pics!

be sure to tell us how it progresses !
rc

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Here is how I assume it attaches..

It seems to fit well. The spring can seat with the cable outside of the spring. This is my second question. Is the cable supposed to be inside the spring?

Here is my third question. How does this choke arm fit in? I assume it is supposed to release when one twists the throttle all the way full but I didn't see that action so i am unsure as to how to reassemble.

My goals then for today are to get the info. To manufacture an end for the cable I have and to get as much done today as possible.

So far I like the carb. It's a nice looking unit and it satisfies my idea of a good carb but I have to see it work before I know more.

I appreciate your help on installing the cable, carb and throttle.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
yup, the cable must run through the spring to push the slide back down...
and the cable must be inserted into the slide in the direction of pull, up through the cover plate....
rc

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Ah, I have to look again and perhaps shoot the flap better .

Also it will be dark soon and I will get the end on the cable on since the other came off.

Bbiab.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
in your last picture, the cable needs to be fed through so the cable end is in the space on the left of the carb(looking at your photo) ive attached a photo, you should get the picture. and the cable does not go thru the sping , it comes up just along the outside.
Ive attached pictures of exactly how it should be installed. I have 2 of those carbs, i have one for back-up ,thats why i am able to open one up and show you.

Attachments

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Okay, Thanks.

I have it outside the spring.

Ran out of daylight but there is always tomorrow.

I'm not so happy with this Throttle Body. I mat see about a different one.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
in your last picture, the cable needs to be fed through so the cable end is in the space on the left of the carb(looking at your photo) ive attached a photo, you should get the picture. and the cable does not go thru the sping , it comes up just along the outside.
Ive attached pictures of exactly how it should be installed. I have 2 of those carbs, i have one for back-up ,thats why i am able to open one up and show you.
Ah Ha! Your terminal end sticks out the back hole!

Is how I attached it wrong? Seemed to be the right way.

It seemed to be okay. Is yours different?

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
sorry i couldnt get back sooner, i have a night college class.
If you run the cable like i have it there is less bend in the cable, its more of a straight up and down pull. The way you have it i think when you put it together the cable will rub and maby pull against the bottem of the spring.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
sorry i couldn't get back sooner, i have a night college class.
If you run the cable like i have it there is less bend in the cable, its more of a straight up and down pull. The way you have it i think when you put it together the cable will rub and maybe pull against the bottom of the spring.

Could be. I'll try it your way. You would know if it didn't work well.

Had to take care of other things today. You know how it goes and I decided to get a different throttle body from Pirate and they are in the dark there.

Hopefully I'll have it going by the weekend with what i have on hand.

I like your idea of a spare so when I can I will be ordering a spare one. After all I have spare magnetos and CDIs

Thanks for your help so far.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
The way i showed you in the picture is the way i have it in the carb thats on my bike now. its been 4 months without a single problem so id have to say it works. Ill probably never need the spare but i hate down time waiting for parts . Not having the frustration of waiting anywhere from 4 to 10 days is worth the money. And if you build another bike you got quality parts fron the git-go.
Also im not sure about what you mean by why you had to get a different throttle body?
Throttle body usually refers to the carb and you have a great carb?

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
On the outside? Let me know what to do to answer that question.

My experience is a tad simpler then that.

UPDATE:

It was a wait and see on the Throttle Body. I ordered one from Pirate and had one here from Sick.

Sick is more to my tastes. I wouldn't mind if Sick added a cable end like Pirate does but then Pirate doesn't send a cable.

Okay enough on the customer feedback in public.

As usual I learned and grew because of this site. I worked a cable with coper wire and silver bearing solder all done with the propane torch.
Worked fine! I recommend that technique!
Turned out I used the cable end after all that effort but hey.. It's cool.

For this mod I have taken time to work with a good cable. I have routed it well and have set the kind of slack I want for throttle. A little slack seems right so when I'm pulling on the disc brake I don't have to worry I'm jiggering the gas.
I can always tighten that up with a cable end ( hint hint Sick )..

Anyway, here is my dirty ride.

I had a fuel leak because I didn't have any thread tape on hand and I am still cleaning the bike.

Here is my throttle side of the handlebar

And for good measure I changed out the fuel valve but I learn that small rocks and metal shavings do find their way in and block the fuel.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
The Ride so far.

I'm needing to remount the engine. My loctite didn't hold so I need to step up one strength on loctite.

I'm considering some rubber as well but the better loctite is needed.

On the ride. I simply plugged the fuel hose in and opened the fuel and then jumped on the bike.
It seemed to have enough time to mostly have fuel. I rode up and down the driveway about twice before I felt it was on it's own.
Now I took time to ride it about a quarter mile and then set the idle which works most excellent.
I also tested out the choke release with the cable taught. That works fine so set the choke and forget about flipping a switch to take it off.

Well, it's too soon for a final on this carb but it seems fine so far. I'd like to say it runs great over a distance but that has to wait for the rest of the Depot work here.
New screws on the idler and maybe even a spring tensioner. I'll have to see. Check the thread in Introductions for my latest mod efforts.

Okay then I am at least as good as before the throttle problem and I assume I'm much better off than I was.

I'll have a better report after I'm comfortable at higher RPMs. As I wrote the mount is lose so that is the main task for tomorrow.