Race Bikes!

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Race Bikes

Maybe no need for this catagory/sub-catagory but if the racing of motorized bicycles ever continues too grow, it will keep builds like mine out of catagories and sub-catagories that it may not belong. Just a suggestion......

Example.....does this build look like the beach cruiser it once was and do you think it is street legal in any state??

dnut

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Race Bikes

Maybe no need for this catagory/sub-catagory but if the racing of motorized bicycles ever continues too grow, it will keep builds like mine out of catagories and sub-catagories that it may not belong. Just a suggestion......

Example.....does this build look like the beach cruiser it once was and do you think it is street legal in any state??

dnut
:) Its legal in: My state: of mind. laff

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Race Bikes

I think it's an excellent idea categorizing bikes built for racing.

And no, it wouldn't be legal in many states unless it was registered as a motorcycle.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i think there should be a Race Bikes, or maybe a "motorized bicycle racing" category that encompasses all of it.

my current race bike and it's future offspring won't fit in any of the standard categories either.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I would have to agree with the 'Race Bike' category. The builds that I am currently working on are race specific. They will not even comply within the 'California motorized bicycle' specifications.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur... a 'race bike' catagory would be a very nice addition here; but I think it might cause a lot of problems because everyone's gonna be posting very ordinary bikes there, (having little dreams that they built a real racer). & the real racers will start calling 'BS' on them. It's a tough call on what bikes can be posted there. :rolleyes:

Maybe restrict it to only bikes that have actually seen competition?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Builders could specify the class the bike races in, 2-stroke or 4-stroke, engine size, engine mods and hp, a current number plate. It really would be a functional catagory for anyone interested in building and racing ( and showing off) their bikes.

dnut

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I am not sure if I have any bikes to post...My bike are daily riders not race bikes. I can build a race bike if needed and post in this area.
Jeff, I think you just challenged yourself to build a race bike for the Grange in April, 'Dad' the builder, 'Son’, the racer AKA 'The Iceman'....that's great! it doesn't get any better than that...although your daily's are pretty fast.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I started a new social group for Motor Bicycle Racing.
You can sign up here.
http://motorbicycling.com/group.php?groupid=7

Race Bikes

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I concur... a 'race bike' catagory would be a very nice addition here; but I think it might cause a lot of problems because everyone's gonna be posting very ordinary bikes there, (having little dreams that they built a real racer). & the real racers will start calling 'BS' on them. It's a tough call on what bikes can be posted there. :rolleyes:

Maybe restrict it to only bikes that have actually seen competition?
A little criteria for this catagory should be as Norm stated above in red. Also sporting the number plate on the build for racing would be advisable. Maybe some pics of it in action on the track?

Just a little food for thought as there is some interest in the suggestion for a Race Bike and motorized bicycle racing catagory ;)

dnut

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Race Bikes

dnut
might be legal in wisconsin, they allow a motor up to 130cc as long as there is functioning pedals.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the "automatic" clutch is a bad term for what they mean. here in california, they have the same law, but a china doll isn't technically a "manual" clutch since it doesn't have any gears.

according to a gung ho cop i run into all the time, china's are considered automatic's, since they don't actually shift. he said he's gone to court on a no registration/license plate/helmet ticket where a guy claimed it didn't apply because he had a manual clutch. the judge told him if he wants to claim it's a manual, then it doesn't meet the classification of "motorized bicycle" and is illegal to ride anywhere on the street, and they'll make sure to impound it next time.

i'd go with calling it an automatic clutch...