Straight pipe?

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
When I ordered my EZM kit from Quenton, I asked for his pipe, but what was in the box was the chrome one. When I placed the order, I had said that they could keep it, the sprocket kit, and the fuel tank as I wouldn't be needing them. They were about a week behind on their orders at that time. Must have got them a bit confused putting the order together. Going to build my own now.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i tryed it lost to much low end power so what i did was cut a nice smooth cut with a grinder on the bottom of the exhaust bought a big washer got one with a hole that was 2 3rds the size comeing off the engine exhaust welded it on good all around power loud of course but it worked and was easy to do

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My brother was running a flexpipe with straight tip on his GXH50 for awhile, but the noise was just too much. I also converted to flexpipe, but didn't want to deal with all that noise. So I decided to try an inexpensive Briggs muffler instead. While I was painting it, I took a spare straight tip my brother had and installed it. Then went for a ride, grinning (and feeling sorry for anyone on the sidewalks) until I was pulled over a mile down the street. I received a verbal warning for violating a noise ordinance and did the pedal of shame back to the shop.

I didn't notice any difference in power between no muffler and muffler, but my brother switched to the Briggs muffler shortly after I did and claimed he had a lil bit more power after. Funny thing too, the Briggs muffler is cheaper than the tips we were using. My avatar is a picture of the "temporary" straight tip installed on my bike.

Edit: here's a link to the tips if anyone is interested in an overpriced hack job of a useless part :D
http://www.streetlowrider.com/shop/p47/Oblique-Style-Muffler-Chrome/product_info.html

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I picked up a 2 piece "poo poo pipe", mainly to get the front down pipe. I found a place that sells 1"od stainless and chrome pipe by the foot. That'll be 7/8" ID, and should fit over the down pipe
MARKSTAAR - 1" O.D. Polished Stainless Steel Tubing - Product Details
I'm planning on playing around with at least 3 setups
I'm thinking that I'll work the jetting with the straight pipe first, adding at least a couple feet to the down pipe, at least back to the axle. #2, I want to gut the muffler that comes with the pipe and install a 3" Super Trapp muffler disc set I have and see how a Meg setup with the Supertrapp on the end works. Finally, I want to use the first setup with a cap in the end, with holes drilled around it like one of those useless things in your link. I'm not figuring it'll be faster, but I'll keep playing around until it's not going any slower, even if I end up with a jar full of extra jets.

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Hope this helps,when I use "safety" pipes on my big bikes(Harleys) a lot of mid range powers lost..time to rejet carb.Even then its hard to dial them in unless Ya create some back pressure..washers 1/8th smaller than pipe,rigged up 2" inside pipe may do it.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
The backpressure bit I've been through. In the early '70s, I ran an alky burning 302 in my hydro. On the dyno we found we could bolster the midrange by putting an insert in the header collector. It affected the top end slightly which wasn't as important in the boat as the midrange. That engine was 'just' shy of 2hp per inch. The boat in my avitar was carbed on gas, and dynoed best with a bell shaped end on a long collector.
I figure that I'll find something that'll work, sound good, and not handicap the engine.