kit fuel line

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
ok, what's up with the "fuel line" they give you with these motor kits? every time i put one together i come to the fuel line and then with shaking hands
i bend it, examine the thickness, smell it , etc. then i think, well maybe they fixed it and i put it on. the gas seeps down the carb and drips from the float bowl. or it doesn't until you touch the line slightly then it starts leaking.

i keep thinking maybe just once they could (at the chinese motor factory) send a guy out back to put the thing together and report on it. so they could fix any defects. maybe they do this already and leaking gas is not considered a defect in china. or maybe thats all they can find for fuel line.

im not a sino-phobiac by any means, but it's just frustrating that little, but important issues can't be corrected.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Just use the supplied tube up for the filter to carb link (Use 1/4" valve to filter). But change that garbage once a month or so - then find some 3/16" line. Mine never leaked but it shrinks and gets brittle. I use zip ties. They are cheap, small and do a great job. No leaks!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
The higher end auto parts stores have stainless braided fuel line by the foot. They are NOT cheap, but rocket fuel won't hurt them. Clamps are about a buck each. about 10.00 usd.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have black fuel line from the auto parts store seems to work at least it doesn't get brittle and break in the cold.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have black fuel line from the auto parts store seems to work at least it doesn't get brittle and break in the cold.
That's what I use...and personally, I think the clear/yellowish fuel line looks cheap- but to each their own. I would never run a fuel line without a proper spring clamp, spring-wire clamp or worm-drive band clamp at each connection. Those things were not invented for no reason.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Something to keep in mind when buying fuel hose from an auto parts store. Because of the new alcohol blend fuels you should always opt for the high priced fuel line as opposed to the older/cheaper, neoprene type. I got an emergency e-mail from my auto insurance company regarding this issue a year ago and shortly after experienced a fuel leak on my hot rod. The old fuel line had deteriorated due to its incompatibility with the alcohol fuels we have here in Colorado. Like the man says, "It ain't cheap." but what's a couple of dollars compared with the price to replace your bike/hot rod/boat etc. if it burns?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
The old fuel line had deteriorated due to its incompatibility with the alcohol fuels we have here in Colorado. Like the man says, "It ain't cheap." but what's a couple of dollars compared with the price to replace your bike/hot rod/boat etc. if it burns?
Pretty soon it's gonna go from "Big Oil" to "Big Corn"

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
lol!!!!!!!! i have the same problem with mine leaking at the carb, it drained half a tank overnight, so now when ever i go to leave it for the night, i empty the tank by filling back up the good 'ol metal gas can

MyPC8MyBrain

Aug 1, 2008
lol!!!!!!!! i have the same problem with mine leaking at the carb, it drained half a tank overnight, so now when ever i go to leave it for the night, i empty the tank by filling back up the good 'ol metal gas can
Turn off the petcock ? :rolleyes:

or upgrade it if the leak continues with the valve turned off.

Gas is stinky and flamible... I mess with it as little as possible.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
try 3/16" fuel line , available at most auto parts stores. I have also used 1/8" line. a little tricky and kind of hard to put on but it worked for me.:D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Guys, trust me on this. If you're buying 3/16" hose from an auto parts store the chances are good that it isn't rated to carry gasoline. Vacuum hose, windshield wiper fluid maybe, but I've not seen 3/16" hose in a car parts store meant for gas. If your fuel line is not rated for gasoline you'll quickly end up with a carb full of black chunks and goo and fuel leaks. Try a local hobby shop that deals with the large 1/4 scale airplane guys. They sell a hose called Tygon that is meant for gasoline. It's very flexable and comes in a few different sizes. The largest I've found at the hobby store is 5/32 I.D but it fits, with a little persuasion. I've never felt that my engine is starving for fuel with the 5/32" Tygon. My engine is stock so I don't know about engines with modifications but I'll guess that their fuel requirements aren't that much more than a stock engine. Stay away from silicone tubing too. It won't hold up to gasoline either. There are a lot of sources for industrial tubing that will work but many of them require you purchase a large quantity. I don't know what I'd do with 100' of 3/16 Tygon or other material. If you do buy 3/16" line from Autozone, CarQuest, Napa etc, make sure it is gasoline rated (and don't just take the counter man's word) or you're asking for trouble down the road.