My muffler endcap came off, and now bike runs like crap. pic included.

GoldenMotor.com

otheracco

Jul 19, 2010
Minnesota - Near Cities
OK, at least I'm pretty sure I had an endcap on here. I don't really remember.
Anyway, the bike is very loud now, and it will only go for a few blocks before dying.

I don't like how loud it is, it was running great before this happened. I'd like to know for sure that I actually did have an endcap on here. I just don't remember if there was or not.

Also, I JB welded a soda can on the muffler, it was still very loud and still ran like crap, so that didn't work. I would have screwed it on as well as JB welded, but how did the original endcap screw on anyway?

otheracco

Jul 19, 2010
Minnesota - Near Cities
Thanks, that's exactly what I thought I had, just wasn't sure.

I said I JB welded a soda can on, what I meant was that I welded the opened lid of a soda can on it. Since this bike won't go very far before dying now, should I assume that it needed the back pressure the end cap provided?

That depends on which type you have, some have screws on the side some like mine have a center 6mm stud that sticks out and through the end cap. From the pic. your stud has broken off. Yours should have looked like mine with only one exhaust tube.

http://motorbicycling.com/members/greg58-albums-my-bike-picture1611-0610011959-1.html

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Go back and retrace your route, try to remember when it got loud, maybe you'll get lucky and find it inna road like I did.

Then back that stud out and use red locktite on a new bolt.

Or just braze the sucker on like I did.

otheracco

Jul 19, 2010
Minnesota - Near Cities
If I had a acetylene torch I would, but I don't have one. I've spent 1.5 hours searching for the thing. It fell off in the bike lane, right next to a weedy swampland. It's either hidden in the weeds or it fell into the swamp.

What's next? This f'ing kit is like a money trap. Something new breaks every week.

Anyway, I'd prefer to not order a new endcap or buy a new muffler. This goes double for a different style muffler, as I had this bike running mint and a different muffler would require readjustment on the carb.

The soda can lid didn't work very well; it was too loud. Does anyone have any ideas on rigging an end cap up that will muffle the sound as well as the original end cap?

mxer115

Aug 11, 2011
az
If I had a acetylene torch I would, but I don't have one. I've spent 1.5 hours searching for the thing. It fell off in the bike lane, right next to a weedy swampland. It's either hidden in the weeds or it fell into the swamp.

What's next? This f'ing kit is like a money trap. Something new breaks every week.

Anyway, I'd prefer to not order a new endcap or buy a new muffler. This goes double for a different style muffler, as I had this bike running mint and a different muffler would require readjustment on the carb.

The soda can lid didn't work very well; it was too loud. Does anyone have any ideas on rigging an end cap up that will muffle the sound as well as the original end cap?
go to your local auto store and get the 2.125 inch endcap turndown... thats what i did sounds great and its chrome.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I've lost my end cap twice, the bolt that passed through the bottom of it to hold the whole muffler together sheared. I was fortunate to find it the first time in usable shape as I lost it in an area with a lot of heavy truck traffic.

I ended up drilling and screwing around the muffler top and bottom, to hold the tube to the top and bottom caps. Screws were thread-locked on the way in. Now it seems fine, and I've done the same thing pre-emptively on my second build.

CT