MM Hub Adaptor.. Total Loss or repairable??

GoldenMotor.com

revdrnegative

Jun 12, 2011
NH
So on one of my first rides one of bolts came loose on my MM hub adaptor.. caught the coaster brake arm and then proceeded to do a ton more damage, broken chain, destroyed wheel, bent crank.. luckily none to me, except maybe my pride and wallet..
When the bolt came out and caught the coaster brake arm it ripped out about a 1/4" or less of the threads, anyone out there think this could be re-machined at all??

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
You might be able to throw a helicoil in it and save it. Best to use countersunk bolts on the sprocket then the bolt head can't grab the coaster brake arm.

revdrnegative

Jun 12, 2011
NH
They were counter sunk.. I picked up the matching sprocket from pirate cycles. A machinist friend suggested the helicoil idea.. maybe with his help ill give that a try.. now to find a new wheel..

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In the picture it looks like there's plenty of threads deeper down in the hole. Can't you just get a longer bolt?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
same thing happened to me but i just bent the bolt and boogered the threads i drilled down 1/2'' farther and tapped it got a 1/2'' longer bolt and was good to go [after i locktited them down. worse case drill through and put a nut on the back

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah like b-nut and Norm suggested......I'd just dress up the end a bit with a file and use a longer bolt and Loctite.....unless that tower is bent badly.