need advice badly!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
It could be from too much or too little gas. You may have an air leak at the carb, check the gasket and the bolts. The carb could be flooding. Do you smell gas? Will the engine run a bit with gas poured through the carb? If it's a new engine maybe the valves were not set correctly. It's a good idea to always check as the china factory quality control isn't known for quality control. Someone else will chime in with more help I'm certain.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If it's getting gas, spark and has compression and the spark is delivered in time, then it should run.

Well, at least it should fire.

You are missing something indeed.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. Excuse me. An engine needs gas, spark and compression to run. I'm just asking. Doesn't it also need exhaust? Thankyou.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. Thankyou for the advice on the spark plug. This book on small engines says, "A sparkplug that fires outside of the engine may not function when the voltage requirement doubles under compression". I've also read to make sure and replace the gasoline because it has a short shelf life of six months to thirty days. Would it be safe after that to spray starter fluid into the air filter then pull the starter cord? Thanks again.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Is your plug wet? Also loading up a motor with starting fluid especially either is not a good idea. Use it to diagnose your symptom. You don't need but a tiny snort of it to make the motor fire up.

You can also put a teaspoon of gas into the cylinder when replacing the plug and if it was missing fuel from the equation it will fire up once.

Your book is totally right about the spark needing to be hot to get into a compressed cylinder. In some cases like with a cracked plug you will see a nice spark outside the cylinder but not know whats going on when it is installed. Also if the spark circuit is breaking down bad cdi or wire any connections this thing can happen.

These are neat checkers as they force the spark to jump across a predetermined measured gap Thexton 404 Ignition Spark Tester with Adjustable Gap - Toolfetch.com

For now lets just keep it simple. Is your plug getting wet? How long has this motor been in storage? Yes gas goes bad with age sitting in storage. A carb can get all gummed up to where the venturi jets inside etc will plug up.

Last edited: