"performanace" weedeaters?

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I do away with the pull start and housing shoes still has a pull start and housing. I pre start mine with a rope wrapped around the drive wheel to warm it up a little before I take off. You can drag start them as well but I prefer to know mine is going to run before I leave my driveway.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I like my pull start a lot- it doesn't weigh much and it's conveinient, no tough pedaling to start if I don't want.

I keep the housing though- the air cooled engine do better when the housing channels the air as it's supposed to- sucks it in like a low power vaccum.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I keep hearing that air channel thing but I never have had a problem with that that I know of. Still If it works for you it works for you/

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
im debating keeping the spring loaded recoul or just making a wrap and pull.

its really just about a few inches of plastic i dont want to keep

also i think the square hole in my weed eater is the same as a small socket wrench head.

thoughi think ill drill it out and tap it (finally have a use for my tap and dye kit)

Last edited:

timoc

Sep 19, 2008
i'm going to trim pulley side off and use 4 shoulder bolts,drill and tap flange and use backing nuts to hold pulley on

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
what brand weed eater do you have? Each one has it's own way to ge the bell off, then the inside is all about he same. And how you get it off depends on if you are saving it...

IF you have a ryobi in the stem jutting out of the bell you'll see a hole, in there is a small torx head nut, unscrew it and out it comes. TO unscrew it you'll need a torxhead driver, and not one with interchangeable bits. M, I didn't care about that pressed tin piece of carp, so I used a saw and cut more of the tip off, and fit my change-able tip into it, worked great.

inside the clutch are the two pieces, 2 springs a flat washer and a nut. I clamp a pair of needle nose vice grips around the swinging pieces at a point were I can easily fit them and than tap the flat washer in the direction it shows with a big screw driver and hammer. One that is loose the nut comes right off then the whole assembly slides off the shaft.

do a search for clutch removal and you should find plenty on here about it.