Adjusting the idle?

GoldenMotor.com

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
I just started riding around and the standard HT carb seems outta adjustment..I've tried and let the idle screw in and out whilst the engine was running to no effect- the engine just races when I pull the clutch. It's a new rig with less than 1 mile on it- any threads/stickies I can read to do some basic idle adjustments?

As always- thanks!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you checked for an air leak?
This is the best advice at this point.
The most common area of concern is where the carburetor attaches to the intake manifold and where the manifold attaches to the cylinder. The kit supplied gaskets are notorious for giving troubles as far as a good seal goes and the carb needs to be sealed to the intake to eliminate any chance of air being drawn into the intake which will cause an over lean (fast idle) condition.
Check for air leaks by spraying some carburetor cleaner lightly around the areas mentioned. A change in engine speed will tell you if you've found a problem.
Good luck and get back to us if you don't find anything. There are other places to check but let's start with the simple things first.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if the engine is really racing, like to full throttle and it sounds like it's gonna blow up. your throttle cable is probably too tight.

with the engine off, take off the air filter and unscrew the idle screw all the way.

look inside the throat of the carb. the slide should be all the way down, completely covering the carb throat.

if it's not make sure the adjuster on the carb cap and the one on the throttle are screwed all the way in.

then screw the idle screw back in until it contacts the slide and starts to push it up. go a full turn in once it hits the slide.

fire it up and see what happens.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
All fixed. I re-adjusted the carb (where it mounts to the engine) and screwed those in 'till they stripped! Idles all good now - no worries.

Last edited: