To mr.paul and or the mods

GoldenMotor.com

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
just a thought as to postin pics...i, myself get very frustraded, and don't like devotin so much time for the process...every time i've gone to post it gets rejected due to size..........is there anyway to enhance the postin pics program here so that it would automatically re-size any submitted pics for post to an aproved, legable, size determined by you?....im on another club site that does it for you which makes it so much easier to get things up!.......they even have a section just for gallerys for members to maintain all their builds, pics ..etc......

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yea, the 'bucket has gotten a lil wonkly these days - they merged with TinyPic & decided to add a buncha glitz & glam and basically pooched their site. They've gotten a lil better & I assume they're still workin' on it... at least I hope so lol, I've been a member there for years :p

Anyways - we've got member galleries, it's a brand new feature just added with the software upgrade. Click on your name & go to your 'Control Panel' - in 'Your Profile' there's an entry named 'Pictures and Albums' :D

You can click any other members name & view their profile page - if they've made any albums, it'll appear on the right hand side of that page.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Yea, the 'bucket has gotten a lil wonkly these days - they merged with TinyPic & decided to add a buncha glitz & glam and basically pooched their site. They've gotten a lil better & I assume they're still workin' on it... at least I hope so lol, I've been a member there for years :p

Anyways - we've got member galleries, it's a brand new feature just added with the software upgrade. Click on your name & go to your 'Control Panel' - in 'Your Profile' there's an entry named 'Pictures and Albums' :D

You can click any other members name & view their profile page - if they've made any albums, it'll appear on the right hand side of that page.
ok thanks for the info on what exists....as for the 3rd party photo sites they are a pita.....i guess i'll have to wait till im in the mood to deal w/them..or maybe i'll get one of the x- box kids in the 'hood to do it 4 me....it still would be nice if we didn't have to "out source" to post........

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, you don't - we host pics here (as attachments & member albums) but we do need to at least resize to not only help w/server space & speed, even just as a courtesy to those members with... less than awesome bandwidth lol

External photo & vid hosting as it's advantages, dedicated sites like that often have far more album & tool features than any forum ever could, far more storage space & often better speeds as well. It takes some getting used to it's true, but some even have plugins for your browser that allows you to simply click - and whatever pic is automatically uploaded for ya w/links ready to simply C&P...

*shrug* Ofc you don't hafta use one, but ya might wanna skip the x-boxers and check 'em out ;)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The tricky part about images in a forum post is how the text wraps to the browsers window size.
A pic wider than ~640 pixels, say 800 or more pixels will make everyone's browser window add a Horizontal scroll bar so you can scroll to see the pic depending on that users screen settings.

The problem is the text uses that width too, so if there is a lot of text, not just in that post but every post on the "page of displayed posts" which here is what, about 20? You have to Horizontally scroll your browser back and forth for every line of text in every post.

And don't forget the side ad's and member name columns for each post space in the browser window too.
No problem for those running say a 1600x1400 browser window, but 1152x864 is about as high as I can go on all 3 big monitors and still read it.

I tend to use a lot of images for my help and project posts and for me anyway find the right picture in the right place of the post text to be crucial so have never been a fan of 'pic albums' and thumbnails at the end, especially Flash based ones, but they are a boon for those without resources of their own.

I have my own co-hosted Win2K3 server on fiber and Terabytes of free disc space so I host all my own images and resample them to 640x wide as habit and just use a link for any wider version like this for example:

My 3 monitor desktop screenshot resampled down to 640x wide.

Full 3458x846 Pic Link.

SYSOP GUY PLEASE READ
I love how linked images over 640x get resized on the fly with a little banner line to click for full sized image, I didn't use it here as I know the whole image has to resampled and then display by your server and that slows things down for everyone but I could use that on some of my sites, could you point me to good place to look for one for Win2K3 please?
Thanks ;-}

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Well, you don't - we host pics here (as attachments & member albums) but we do need to at least resize to not only help w/server space & speed, even just as a courtesy to those members with... less than awesome bandwidth lol

External photo & vid hosting as it's advantages, dedicated sites like that often have far more album & tool features than any forum ever could, far more storage space & often better speeds as well. It takes some getting used to it's true, but some even have plugins for your browser that allows you to simply click - and whatever pic is automatically uploaded for ya w/links ready to simply C&P...

*shrug* Ofc you don't hafta use one, but ya might wanna skip the x-boxers and check 'em out ;)
thanx again ...im workin on it...i guess it falls into the catagory of teachin an ol dog new tricks!.......more to learn...thanx