Good Cruiser Frames for 4 strokes

GoldenMotor.com

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Title pretty much says
I am wanting you guys to tell me what your favorite cruiser frame is for a 4 stroke (more specifically a honda gxh50 and a q-matic)
I have a trek calypso that is running well
but it does have some chain clearence issues and some engine clearance isssues
just enough of both to make me want to ditch the frame
so i only need a frame that preferebly has vbrake mounts
i STRONGLY prefer alluminum
and since i dont plan on pedaling unless i break down or run out of gas i would like it to be a very laid back frame as well

and its getting cold here so bike is up for the season so i wont even be buying a frame for 4-6 months now so no hurry

so go ahead
post your favorite cruiser frame
be sure to include make and model
and if possible a picture and where to get it

thanks jared

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Alright then, let me tell you about the two cruisers I own and mentioned in your earlier post. These are aluminum framed Ridgedale's, the blue is the "Avico" and the black is a "Northwoods". The blue one I bought over a year ago at Toy-R-Us and paid $119 + California sales tax. The black one I ordered online for $150 and free shipping from A-Bike Store.com.......we also had them a Costco for a similar price. Both bikes have over 3,000 hard miles on them with 2 and 4-stroke motors and not one issue with frame failure whatsoever! Sturdy.....more than. I will build as many bikes as humanly possible on either of these frames and feel as confident as a polar bear in snow.

Just so ya know, I raced Mountain Bikes for over 10yrs. as a Vet Expert. Most of all of my wins were on aluminum framed Mtn. Bikes (Yeti, Mammoth, etc) so believe me when I say I know a little something of aluminum framed bikes. These two bike are as bomb proof as they get....... and they were made in CHINA! Heard enuf?

dance1dnut.wee.

Last edited:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
okay scotto you sold me those frames seem nice
though i am looking to see what all my options will be
hopefully this will be an ongoing thread with many ideas for myself and others

lets see some nice stretch cruisers as well
and dont forget to mention how to obtain those frames

keep posting away people

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
honestly?...
only one person here can suggest specific frames????

come on guys i know you can do better than that

whats your favorite frame

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
When you posed the question you limited the choices by stating a preference for an aluminum frame and V brake setup. I would guess that most of us running cruisers with four strokes are using steel frames. You've also cut out pretty much anything vintage. So people who might have made suggestions aren't going to waste their time if what they are using and like is not something you're considering.
SB

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
i understand where you are coming from

those though were only preferences and not musts

i am open to all ideas
i started the thread to try to get as many options out there as possible

if anyone wants to suggest steel
or somethin without v-brake mounts on the rear

im open to it
so long as i can purchase just the frame

i am liking the felt heritage
has anyone here put a 4 stroke on it...does it work well?

Last edited:

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Hi Jared, the American made Schwinn cantilever frames are sought after but of course are 30-60+ years old. Used bike shops, yard sales, etc.. And yes they work w/ a 4stroke/EZM combo. Excellent gearbox BTW.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I would agree that the old Schwinn cantilever frame is a good choice for a 4 stroke. I did a HS engine Qmatic recently in a 1950 straightbar Schwinn and while it looks perfect, especially with one of sportscarpat's in frame gas tanks, there was barely enough vertical room to make it fit in there (which is one reason it looks good). It required not only an extra wide pedal crank with an extra small chain ring, but I also had to do a bit of bending to the pedal crank. Was it worth it? Oh yes. A better choice in frames is the old cantilever which is also a very strong and well made frame, but it has more room. You will still need the extra wide pedal crank, but no change in sprocket or bending of pedal arms is needed as it plugs right in there and yet fills up the frame nicely. It looks good with the motor and transmission and is a pretty straight forward no hassle build. Over a bazillion of these frames were made, so finding one is not real difficult. Front brakes are more limited. You can go with a springer front fork from Venice Bikes which has a disc brake set up as an option, go with a drum front wheel by Worksman or Husky or as a minimum a caliper brake adapter made by Schwinn back when and still available on ebay. I'm making up a front cantilever V brake setup on my 51 Schwinn cantilever springer forked build in process which is getting the Greyhound motor. I find a coaster brake in back is adequate providing it is a good heavy duty wheel in the first place. I don't race and am interested in a solid and comfortable cruiser with classic styling. If you look on the current thread for the EZM buildoff there are photos there of my Motorbike build along with some others getting the 4 stroke and should give you some ideas of what things look like. Given your preferences, Scotto's suggestions sound like a good fit for you. I know nothing of aluminum framed bikes. Whatever you pick, it's good that you're looking ahead and making a plan.
SB

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Motomagz-
Is your green bike frame a Chinese Schwinn Jaguar frame? Could you provide more pics please? It looks awesome. I really like the color; something you don't see every day. Thanks!