SBP Expansion Chamber... AWESOME!

GoldenMotor.com

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
SBP is Sick Bike Parts, the vendor for this pipe kit. I'm really thinking about dropping a dime on one myself, but the season is almost over, and it's raining today.
o ok. yea i knew about sick bike parts. its a great site. but i wasnt sure what he meant by just bp. by the way, with that expansion chamber, is there anyway to keep it kind of quiet like the stock pipe?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I got My engine installed, I took the time to clean up the exhaust manifold and enlarge it a bit to match the exhaust port... and the half day riding I got before shoddy Chinese quality control kicked in told Me that this is plenty of power for a bicycle once I get her running again and the carb dialed in I'm going to probably pass on the performance carb and MM head. Its Plenty fast for a bicycle to go.
Cheers

Got her running again the next day..still plenty fast ...shft.

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
BP? I didn't see "BP" anywhere. Are you talking about DB for decibels?

I know that SBP sells a "silencer" for that exhaust; not sure if that's an equal replacement for the silencer that comes with, or if no silencer comes with, or if it's a quieter one.
o yea. it is db. sorry fast reading. okay ill take a look at the silencer. i really want that exhaust but i dont want the loudness even though i like loud bikes. its just all the neighbor complaints i would probably get. ha. it seems like its worth the money and a great performance upgrade. cant wait to get one!

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
There are 2 ways to make the pipe a bit more quiet that I know work, 1 is to use header wrap, available in a parts store, this will get rid of the "ting ting" dirt bike sound, the other is to remove the stock silencer,(drill rivets out), and install a longer/different one, I think 2" auto muffler pipe, some steel wool, and a 1/2" inner pipe(possibly electrical conduit) for the internal passage, drilled with a bunch of holes, or use chicken wire etc... Just a suggestion.
Mac

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
ok. yea the sbp pipe does come with a silencer so i guess it would be okay. i also see people talking about "poo poo" pipes. is that a name for the stock pipe?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
o yea. it is db. sorry fast reading. okay ill take a look at the silencer. i really want that exhaust but i dont want the loudness even though i like loud bikes. its just all the neighbor complaints i would probably get. ha. it seems like its worth the money and a great performance upgrade. cant wait to get one!
Hehhe, ya, that was my post, DB is decibels.
The Xchamber sounds different, but as mentioned the SBP comes with one and not louder than stock.
If you want quieter you can you can just hose clap a lawn mower muffler on the end of that.

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
(@ Nougat) i believe that under 125cc is legal and its also a pedal assist so im okay.
(@ KCvale) ok, if the silencer makes it quiet then thats good. i really want one so i guess ill have to start saving up! its a bit pricy but i know the results will be good!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
If You are getting the chamber also get a better air-filter and a MM intake from Pirate Cycles...take the time to match up the intake and exhaust ports..you wont be disappointed.

Cheers.wee.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Motornut, it is good you disregard the bad advise about not being concerned with annoying your neighbors. You need to make your bike a silent as you can and hide the gas tank too. Unless you have a plate on the bike- you are not legal here.
I bought a basket- case old moped with a registration and my bike is now a customized Puch.
Go to the NYDMV website and see the requirements for a moped. There is no inspection for the 2 slowest classes of moped. This is a big plus.

Required- headlight, tail light and stop light. No "off road only" tires.

I steel stamped the Puch name and numbers on a plate and welded / blended it to the steering head. I ride it bike speed with occasional bursts to 25.

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
ill be getting a race carb before i purchase this. and i ride down side roads and along the curbs al the time and no cops bother me. ive actually rode by a few and they just look at me and keep going! so far im okay.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't know NY law, but here in Phoenix 48cc @ 20mph it is just considered a bicycle.
No ANYTHING like a drivers license or tags required to own and ride it anywhere you want, even bike lanes.

The thing is, the cops actually prefer you ride 30 on a 40 MPH road just so you are less of hinderence to drivers.

As far as engine size goes, well, all my builds have one motor sticker that says 48cc ;-}

SickBikes is out of Xpipes right now, so that may slow down your plans.

But back to quieting the exhaust...
I can't recall what movie I was watching last night, but the guy used a silencer on his pistol.

Now a gun barrel silencer certainly has nothing inside it to hinder the bullet travel like mesh.
This might give you guys some ideas.
How to Make a Silencer

If I had the time, tools and material I'd play with the basics but have none of those at the moment, but it is an idea to toss around.

Baffle the sound by bouncing it around in a double cylinder to cancel itself out and dissipate it through more holes.