Chainsaw masacre

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think I finally have the 33cs bike set up correctly. The problem was in the clutch lever. It had too much flex in it. Actually any flex is too much. I replaced the round tube with a square one. The tube was expensive but it did the trick.

I also coated the drive roller with jb weld and sand. I'm not sure what made a difference but the drive roller didn't wear off as it usually does.

The reason I think the bike is set up correctly is that it did not skip under any of the test conditions. It usually does. It pulled through all the hills without any skipping at all. That is something new for a bike I built.... Well the 42cc cs bike did the same thing yesterday with the new lever. The lever for sure made a difference.

Also the fact that I am not putting any tension on the lever from the brake lever in advance of pulling it. Because of the increased tension I have to get the engine off the wheel by directly pushing the bar but the brake lever holds it up. I think I can make that work.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I ran this bike with the new drop rod and jbweld cover on the drive wheel up the notorious bike killer hill. Maybe I should call it bike rider killer but it doesn't sound as cool.

The 33cc CS engine pulled the hill quite adequately. It didn't fly nor did any pedestrian pass me. I didn't pedal at all. I think either of my four bikes now would be acceptable for errand duty.

Next I might have to look for some bigger and better gas tanks. I mean now that I am able to run all over town, I need to be equipped to really run all over town. Putting a cup of gas in every ride is a drag.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today was not a day like any other and I was there. First of all I went to the lawn mower repair shop on my 33 bike. I did pretty well going but on the way home it kept hesitating at full throttle. Would actually seem to stall then catch again.

So Of course I went home to work on it. I decided god alone know why that my carb was acting up. So I tried to adjust it. I bought ten new plugs on ebay and I tried one of those. I also change the gas tank all at once. Yeah I know dumb.

I redid the throttle twice and adjusted it twenty times. It works. I ruled out the spark plug by using both to find that I had the same problem.

I got one good test ride in but the throttle was still hinky. I got the throttle adjusted right finally and took off on another test run and the bike bogged down when I went wide open on the hills.

Just about dark I realized what was happening lol.

I was running out of gas. Follow this if you can. the gas tank had the fuel line in the bottom but when you go up hill the gas pools in a corner of the gas tank. if you are low on gas and open the throttle to suck in more and the gas has pooled on a different part of the tank. You are effectively getting gas slosh and air in the line.

trust me I felt stupid when I figured it out. The last run I was almost out of gas when I got home. I realized then that the 33 bike gets terrible gas mileage and that's what what had happened with the first tank as well. I just couldn't see the tank being empty with it. With the second tank I could.

I am almost positive that was the problem. Tomorrow I am going to do a gas mileage test. I put a tank on the 33 bike from a weed eater. You know the one shaped like a c. I was wondering if anyone knew how much those things hold. I am sure that it is a pint or less.

I spent a lot of time trying to adjust the carb so I expect the bike would get better mileage running than it did with all the work I did on it but it is still terrible.

I used map quest to do some quick calculation and guess work on the mileage I got on the way to the lawnmower shop and it look like about 80mpg. I'll try to do a more controlled test tomorrow.

What I think I will do is fill up the tanks on all three of my homebrew bikes and then ride them a measured distance then measure the amount of gas it take to fill them again.

That should do. If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to listen. I have never done this before. I don't feel up to doing more than say five miles on each bike. That might even be pushing it on the 33cc with that screwy little tank I have on it now.

Oh yeah I forgot I have to change out the rear tire. I wore a spot down to the tread where it sat and turned while standing still. I have to be more careful about using the clutch.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I think anyone who has done a home build bike has spent a wasted day in the garage trying to figure out what the &*^&*%#&(* is wrong with the engine when their tank is dry or petcock is off. Feels a little silly, but we've all done it.

When I measure my mileage I run it dry or almost dry. The ryobi and a pint sized tank, literally, 1 pint or .5 liters. I get about 10 miles to the tank or 80mpg. Though I think lately my mileage has gone up... Your method sound good though for checking the mileage.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I rough figured about eighty on the chainsaw today. I am going to start with it. tomorrow. I used yahoo maps to lay out a five mile course that is still within walking distance of my house. Its like a figure 8 around the house. I am pretty sure the week eater tank with the odd ball shape is about a pint as well but it wont matter as I'm going to measuring the replacement amount. five miles shouldn't run the tank dry. At least I hope not but that's why I'm staying close to home.

After the first leg I will check to make sure I have enough gas for the second one.

And on the tires I have a set of knobbies on the 31 bike and it seems to work fine even after I cursed them on every other bike. It might be that I didn't give them a chance. I have to change the tire on the 33 bike before I do the mileage test,

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I finished the propane gas tank conversion but just now got the picture made. I put it on the 33bike for now. I expect as I need tanks, I will switch over to this one. it seems to work pretty well once I got all the pieces in place.

I did have to devise a special funnel to fill it but no big thing.