A bike and a scooter had a 3-speed child.

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Hello, I'd like to introduce myself and my ride.

Recumbent pelican looking thing.

I really dont know how fast it goes because I have never topped out the rpms in 3rd gear, but it hits forty with little effort. Pull start, No peddles. Generator / storage battery electrics. This is primarily for night rides. Marginally street legal in my town, classified as a foot scooter. First gear eats hills alive. Third gear starts to hit the power band around 35 mph.

Total cost including all new parts was a little less than 500$. Bolt-together with off-the-shelf-parts, except for the tranny mount.

Close to 2000 miles on it so far. All I can say for the Nexus is it rules! Dont even fiddle with a sturmey archer, or CVT. The Nexus, and especially the Trike unit, rocks!

The Pelican

Tire helps at night.

Shimano for the MF'n WIN!

PUll start scooter motor, ready for a pipe.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If gopeds are legal in your state, then your creation should be. You may have just created a new category of motor vehicle.
What size tire did you use on the front?

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
its 26.

Yes it is legal here in town. Just barely...
Classified as a motorized foot scooter. Doesnt pedel, designed to be stood upon, tires 10" or larger. I'm allowed all right of way on streets with 25mph speed limit or less.

Cops love me. Never a ticket, but plenty of 'out reach' to talk to me. I have copies of the laws, and as long as they don't think about the shifter, or pull the head off to measure the actual CC's, or catch me going 38mph in a 25 zone, I'm golden. In the presence of police I always pop it into third gear when I can so it is low and quiet .

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Cool. And ya, you gotta love gears.
How is the ride?
The only thing I would worry about is visibility to drivers.

I remember when I was a kid we put a flag on my tiny go-cart.
A 6' fiberglass whip with a bright orange flag on it, like a golf course hole flag.
You could see me a block away ;-}

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I do night rides only. I do have an optional flag. During the day, yes visibility is an issue, but not at night. It rides like a dream. Front and rear suspension, Air cushions on the seat surfaces. Lean back with one arm free, cruise till the gas runs out. A brave soul could steer with the foot pegs, but a throttle holder would be needed.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nice ride! If you put a CY 46cc engine on it, like the one pictured below, you'll be going faster than you can imagine. It's definetely not a Morini, but on that single speed scooter I can go over 50mph on flat ground....and I'm not joking!

Looks like one of those tires Spooky Tooth sells, reflective sidewalls....good for night riding. Day time riding that low would make you about as visable as a pocket bike...not good. Get a fat pipe for that thing.

I really like the way you mounted that Nexus, very ingenius and looks well thought out. Cheers.

Attachments

Last edited:

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Thanks guys. Its the V2 beta, so I have worked out a couple details on the alpha already. I'd probably hit 50 with a pipe alone, maybe a better carb too. Im not so interested in being that aspirated as I am to have a quiet cruiser that 'shouldnt be going that fast'

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
that thing is wwierd but in a cool way with the rake of it its probly pretty stable at speeds how well dose it turn and what kind of motor is that

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Its a bog stock stand up scooter motor. IT tracks like a dream, turns on a dime.

It feels like most of your body it 'one' with the front wheel. Even when leaning back on the seat.