First Build 'When Pigs Fly'

GoldenMotor.com

Merdeka

Aug 2, 2010
the Netherlands
Hi everyone,

I'm building my first bike ever and it's going to be a motorized one. I always liked the boardtrack style and it inspired me on my build. Thought to share the build with you all.

Everyone around me was saying that my ideas would never work, hence the name: When Pigs Fly

Until a few weeks ago I had never welded before in my life. Still can't make a deasent looking weld but it's getting better.

My bike started out as a Ross Girls frame. I added a Kreidler 160mm front brake and a standard springer fork.

The springer fork I bought didn't fit so I had to cut and weld the clamp.

I drilled six holes in the hub to give it a sportier look. (I don't drive in the rain anyway)

Next I added a pair of wooden rims I bought in Italy. Laced the wheels myself for now with DT Swiss spokes. I'll have them laced later on after powdercoating and polishing. Had to drill new spokeholes in the hub. It originally belongs on a moped that uses thicker spokes.

Now it's time to modify the frame. Starting with the top tubes.

Last edited:

Merdeka

Aug 2, 2010
the Netherlands

After welding them on they were to high so I heated them with a tourch and bend them down.

Now I extended the whole frame 8cm to get the low and long look I like.

Next I made a mockup tank out of cardboard.

Last edited:

Merdeka

Aug 2, 2010
the Netherlands

Then I extended the top tubes and re-used the old downtube. Bended a 26mm gaspipe for the new downtube. The bends are a bit rough but ok.

Finally my wooden handlebars came in from Italy. It was made to match the rims.
I had to shorten the stem and bolt to make the steering as low a possible.

The bolt had to be rethreaded but that failed. The bolt wasn't thick enough and when tightening down the handlebar the new thread broke.

Last edited:

Merdeka

Aug 2, 2010
the Netherlands

So I made a new bolt myself using M8 wirethread and a m8 nut. My welding is getting a little bit better. :)

Handle bar mounted.

Last edited:

Merdeka

Aug 2, 2010
the Netherlands

Ground down a piece of square iron and welded it to the springer fork. This holds the brake backingplate in place.

Made a new tank and temporarily fixed the front brake. Also made a horizontal seat stem.

Now I have to wait for parts to arrive:
- BMX bottom bracket
- Renthal BMX front sprocket
- 80cc Engine Kit (Can take 6 weeks from Hong Kong :( )

Parts used:

- Ross Girls frame
- 26 inch Springer front fork
- 160mm Kreidler front drum brake
- 26 inch wooden Ghisallo rims
- Wooden Ghisallo Moustache handlebars
- Shimano FH-M525 rear disc hub (Planning on mounting the engine sprocket to this, no rear brake)

Hope you like it,

Timo.

Last edited:

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
may i be the first to say "Wow!"
for a first motorized-first bike-firstwelding build- its awsome!

good luck on the rest of the build.

Sam

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Its really nice ,,,do they still make wood bike parts for regular use in Italy?

grinNbarritt

Jun 4, 2010
Orcutt CA
Love the look of your bike! But I'm wonderin if the force on the head tube isnt going to just cause top tubes to bow out more n more.... Maybe a tube across the two? Wood bars are beautyful, and that big ole brake looks wayyyyy cool

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Love it, great job!

I am a firm believer in never believing the "experts" Glad you kept going after hearing "can't"s

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
What are the striped looking construction panals(boards ?) on the deck and walls made of??

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like your can do attitude. Some of the same people who said it wouldn't work are going to want you to build them a bike. The big Fat Franks are perfect and the wooden handlebar is wicked. When you take it for the first ride I hope you have someone taking pictures to share with us. That determined look will bust loose into a big smile! Awesome...
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I like this one. I'm going to follow it for a while. I also think you may have ways of doing things that will give me ideas, it's a feeling I get.
In going where your eye leads you, you are crafting a thing of beauty, my man. I think that when you are done and others can see in front of them what you've been seeing all along, they will scoff no more! Very nice bike coming into being there!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I like your can do attitude. Some of the same people who said it wouldn't work are going to want you to build them a bike. ...
SB
I always say this: When somebody says a thing is impossible or can't be done, ask yourself "How do they know?" Did they try - and FAIL, and now have "sour grapes" issues? Are they just repeating what others have said, like mindless pessimistic tape recorders? Do they truly believe that nobody will ever find a way to do this thing, and thus are afraid to try as well?
There's no such thing as "impossible", just "hitherto unsolved". And don't let anybody tell you not to be the one to do it. :)