working on a new vintage bike project now--

GoldenMotor.com

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
Just trying to use some parts we have laying around here. Here it is just after one morning of mock up. Nothing is permanent yet. Engine is a 6.5 horse China built purchased on sale from Harbor Freight. I have a Whizzer sheave so it will be belt drive. Seat and paint will be changed as well as tires and wheels most likely. Heck, we might not use any of these parts except for frame and engine! Just a quick mock up. Will update later.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a lot of motor you've got there. Will you have to do any kind of gear reduction? The Whizzer belt drive setup will give it a kind of old time look. Good luck on your build. It's always good to see something different, somebody breaking away from the pack.
SB

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
That's a lot of motor you've got there. Will you have to do any kind of gear reduction? The Whizzer belt drive setup will give it a kind of old time look. Good luck on your build. It's always good to see something different, somebody breaking away from the pack.
SB
thank you, we will play with different sizes of sprockets to get the proper combination of speed and torque. If it don't work you guys will be the first to know. We are new at this.

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
how cool would that be, you can find briggs n stratons all day long for 40 bucks or so! you might end up spending more than a 2 smoke kit wold cost making it all work, but i bet the brigs will run as long as you own the bike

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
It is done and turned out good. Ended up buying a $75 Huffy from Walmart and used the tires -rims, front fork and handle bars, and seat from that. Used the old frame, new twist grips, new center kickstand, and brakes from a used mountain bike. With the 6.5 horse go kart engine and belt drive it has made for a real solid bike. Very fast and well balanced. Easy to ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
It is done and turned out good. Ended up buying a $75 Huffy from Walmart and used the tires -rims, front fork and handle bars, and seat from that. Used the old frame, new twist grips, new center kickstand, and brakes from a used mountain bike. With the 6.5 horse go kart engine and belt drive it has made for a real solid bike. Very fast and well balanced. Easy to ride.
Thank you. It is a Harbor Freight 6.5 horse that I bought on sale for $100. I think they are $199 regular price.

This is a very fast bike but still cruises or idles comfortably at low speeds as well.

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
On Ebay. Search under "Whizzer sheave". I got it for $25. Bought 4 of them to save on shipping because the seller was from Taiwan. I have used 3 of them already and have plans for the 4th one.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So is that just a jack shaft then to transfer the chain drive to pulley? What ended up working in pulley and toothed sprocket sizes? This looks to me like a very straightforward setup.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice. So I guess to have this be legal it would need to be considered as a motorcycle. I'm thinking that without the gas tank the engine could move upwards some, but I suppose not enough to leave a BB and pedals, even short armed wide ones. So this has a centrifugal clutch, pull start and plenty of power. I would think the belt drive would quiet down the drive line noise considerably. This looks well thought out to me. And the price is right, for sure. I can see this in a straight bar cruiser frame with the stock gas tank gone and an in frame tank above it, but I'm sure it would need to have the engine low like you have yours.
SB

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
In my small town where I live I can ride this with no license or registration. In Salina where I work, it would not be legal even if it had pedals. They have outlawed all motorized bikes there. Some of the hot rod guys I run around with take things like this to big drag racing events or to the Bonneville Salt Flats for transportation. They have no reason to worry about being street legal. In other words, I'm just messing around with these bikes for fun.

poo poo pipe

Aug 2, 2010
colorado
You sir are the reason i got the motorized bike sickness! I read the jalopy journal alot and seen your post there, Next thing you know i built a board tracker and looking for another project. My bordie is going in the back of my 34 ford pickup for looks and transportation around shows and races.
Thank you!

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
That is awesome! I have had alot of fun riding my bikes this summer including riding them with friends who come to visit me in my small town from all over the world. I took them to the Lead Sled National show and we were able to ride them all over the show grounds. Here is the thread on the hot rod message board "The HAMB" that poo poo pipe was talking about. My new toy--every Hamber should have one-- - THE H.A.M.B.