My Columbia build

GoldenMotor.com

nowramfg

Dec 3, 2009
Canada
This is my first Motor Bicycle using the HT engine package.
DSC_0004 (Large).JPG
The rear mount clamp I made.
DSC_0001 (Large).JPG DSC_0002 (Large).JPG DSC_0003 (Large).JPG
3 pics of the clamp being made.
DSC_0005 (Large).JPG
The motor and bike so far

nowramfg

Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Does everybody have to grind this relief for the clutch cable?
relief(Large).jpg
The front mount is next...maybe tomorrow.
I have an unheated workshop, and it is about -2 C here today.

1 low 64

Oct 23, 2009
Vista CA
Does everybody have to grind this relief for the clutch cable?
View attachment 17347
The front mount is next...maybe tomorrow.
I have an unheated workshop, and it is about -2 C here today.
Dang no heat! I can barley stand the winter tenp here in San Diego, can't imagine what it's like up north. I ground for clearance there on all of the "80cc" bikes I've put together so far, about 5/16". By the way very nice work on the clamp I really miss having access to a Mill.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i never had to grind away to make the clutch cable fit, but i've had some pretty poorly aligned cables in the past.

i solved it by getting a "brake noodle" from the bike shop. you take off the adjuster, and drill out a couple of threads in the keeper that screws into the engine, and push the noodle in. that way you can run your throttle and clutch cables together all the way, and it also eases the tension on the clutch pull. all for about 3 bucks and 2 minutes worth of work.

Attachments

nowramfg

Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Well, I got it all together.
ready to try.JPG
and then I fired it up, no problems, (compression maybe a bit high)
first fire.JPG
went for a ride up and down the lane
in lane.JPG
Pulls like a freight train when it warms up. Note that I replaced the carb with a "performance " one.
I have now built a curved tube adaptor to fit the air filter.

nowramfg

Dec 3, 2009
Canada
The bike seems OK, but it needs a larger rear sprocket, it will not just"putter" along. It will pull great on the flat, a hill will kill it if you are just starting out,(pedalling overcomes that) so I am going to try a few other things to improve the performance.
The motor revs well with the clutch pulled in, idles forever, sounds very quiet with the clutch depressed, but makes a "gear noise" when driving, like straight cut gears that aren't meshing properly.
(anyone played with V8 quick change rear ends in hot rods? you'll know what I mean!!) It shouldn't be the gears between the motor and clutch, unless they really don't like the load. I checked them for backlash etc, they appeared to be OK..
This is a test bike to tinker with while I build my Board Tracker/standoff scale from scratch... with a larger motor...and an Early Harley flair.
This is us...temp was about 2C when I did this....last weekend here in BC
me n bike (Large).JPG

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that noise is almost definitely the clutch. it's "normal." put your hand over the teardrop cover and you'll notice a huge decrease in noise.
i cut and glued a cork gasket piece on the inside of the cover which helped a lot, some people spray rubberized undercoating on the backside of the cover, and still others have glued those neoprene mouse-pads onto the outside to quiet it up.

nowramfg

Dec 3, 2009
Canada
that noise is almost definitely the clutch. it's "normal." put your hand over the teardrop cover and you'll notice a huge decrease in noise.
i cut and glued a cork gasket piece on the inside of the cover which helped a lot, some people spray rubberized undercoating on the backside of the cover, and still others have glued those neoprene mouse-pads onto the outside to quiet it up.
Thank you, I will try that....it never occured to me that it would be from the metal amplification....

I was going to say that the best thing about this build was the Smile when he rode it up the lane but as usual Bear beat me to it........But yes the noise is the gear mesh amped. by the cover almost being like a drum or speaker or whatever......SBP sells a plastic rubber kinda cover that suposta help... Tom