The Start of a Board Track Racer...

GoldenMotor.com

SCUBA Steve

Sep 14, 2009
Calgary
This is only my second post (my first was in the introduction thread).

I'm starting to design a street legal vintage style board track racer. Time is hard to come by these days and the wife thinks I'm insane to even start a project like this, but I don't care if it takes me three years to finish it. For me most of the fun is in the building, the riding is simply the cherry on top. I'm starting to nail down proportions in Solidworks so it looks the way I want prior to bending any pipe. This is the easy part for me. The pace of the build will be painfully slow, I'm sure.

I'd really like to use 28" tires - I simply prefer their proportions to a 55" wheelbase, but with all this talk of clinchers coming off the rims due to low pressure I'm a little... hesitant. We'll see.

I have a Lifan 153FMG 100cc engine on order. It's small and has plenty of fins - maybe not the most authentic look, but I'm sure it'll do. Electrics for lighting and a clutch are a nice bonus.

I'd like to offer thanks to Chuck (and all the rest of you) for your inspirational work - looking at your masterful frames stirred the creative juices in me - thanks :)

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Steve,
Welcome and from what I can see on your solidworks drawing, nice start. I draw mostly in Autocad and the guy sitting next to me here at work is a solidworks guy. We were looking at your tank and have all the pieces figured out easily enough except for the front piece that looks pretty dished and may have to be hand formed. Hard to tell exactly from the rear 3/4 view, though. Anyway, the entire bike looks really nice. I am curious about the Lifan engine. You mention a clutch, but then what about a transmission? Keep us updated on the solidworks drawings until you start your build.

SCUBA Steve

Sep 14, 2009
Calgary
I made sure the tank would be easily welded together without much hand work. The front is made up of three flat sections that will be rolled with a 4" radius.

The Lifan 153FMG is a conventional motorcycle dirt/street engine with a kick start and 4 speed.

Attachments

SCUBA Steve

Sep 14, 2009
Calgary
A little more progress. I've been tweaking the geometry for proper trail and rake numbers as well as a more proportioned look - the tank used to look a little large. Since this will be a street ridden machine, I couldn't bare the thought of dealing with pounded kidneys thanks to a hard tail. One rear shock from a standard twin shocked motorcycle should fit the bill. I'm also bent on being able to pedal and pedal start the engine. I've incorporated a hollow jack shaft with one way needle bearings inside of it for the pedal crank.

Attachments

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

Time is hard to come by these days and the wife thinks I'm insane to even start a project like this
Women just don't get it do they...

If it ever comes down to "it's either me, or the bike", remember, don't hesitate when you answer...

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA

I'm starting to design a street legal vintage style board track racer. ...

I'd really like to use 28" tires - I simply prefer their proportions to a 55" wheelbase, but with all this talk of clinchers coming off the rims due to low pressure I'm a little... hesitant. We'll see. ...
I know nothing of Canadian laws--but first off, you might want to first verify that you can built it "street legal" on bicycle tires and rims at all. That may not even be allowed, leaving you only with modern motorcycle wheels & tires.

In the USA, most states require street-legal vehicles to use federally-approved (federal Dept.of Transportation-rated) tires, and no bicycle tires are DOT rated.

I'm not even certain that the repro Coker tires are DOT rated; they may just be allowed on vintage vehicles--but registering a true vintage vehicle and constructing a modern reproduction are often two different things, legally speaking. ......In the US, "grandfathering" laws generally allow that vintage vehicles are only required to comply with the motor vehicle standards in force at the date of their manufacture, while newly-constructed vehicles must meet all current requirements. That's why the guy at Timeless Motor Company builds basically exact duplicates of pre-WW-I cycles, but cannot sell them as street-legal motorcycles.
~

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
42blue15, same thing here. Most provinces are the same way.

Federal law in Canada says that every moped made after Sept. 1 1988 has to have a sticker applied by the maker stating that it complies with the Federal Safty Laws.

The snag is you have to register with the Canadian government as a Manufactuerer to be able to place the sticker on the bike/moped. Not easy or cheap. Your vehicle must meet stringent laws.

The provinces can write thier own laws that allow vehicles that are home made if they choose to but the must be up to the Federal law requirements.

Where I live it's e-bikes only if they are not commercially made mopeds.

Steve.

SCUBA Steve

Sep 14, 2009
Calgary
"When custom building your vehicle there are a few items that you should keep in mind:
To register the vehicle for on-highway use, it must be designed for on-highway use. If your vehicle is made from one or more donor vehicles (vehicles whose parts you have used) you must ensure that all the donor vehicles were on-highway vehicles. A vehicle made from an off-highway vehicle can not be registered for use on-highway.

The vehicle will need to have an assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). In Alberta, VINs are assigned by the Insurance Bureau of Canada, under contract to Alberta Transportation.

You must ensure that the frame/structural members from the donor vehicles are not branded as non-repairable, which means "parts only." You will not be able to obtain an assigned VIN if your vehicle contains serial numbered structural components of a "parts only" vehicle. If a donor vehicle was branded "written-off," your composite vehicle must pass the requirements of Alberta's Salvage Vehicle Inspection.

Your vehicle must meet the on-highway equipment requirements of Alberta's Traffic Safety Act and Vehicle Equipment Regulation, outlines the requirements for lamps, mudflaps, brakes, speedometer, etc.

Important Note:
You will be held responsible and liable for the design, engineering and safe operation of the vehicle you build. Contact your insurance company before building the vehicle to inquire about insurance requirements.

Click here to locate an Alberta inspection facility in your area.

For more information, please contact:
Vehicle Inspection Program"

Shouldn't be a problem. If vintage wheel tire combinations aren't DOT, then I'll have it inspected with approved stuff, then swap it out later.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Lookin good, Scuba. I am an Autocad drafter and have used it for motorbike build planning.

dorkpunch

Dec 19, 2009
SE Idaho
Howdy all, new to the forum, figured I'd offer my .02... I've become infatuated with the flying merkels, and I plan on doing something very similar. The way I came up with to get my bike street legal is to start with a street legal frame. I'm going to be using a currently titled and street legal '74 XL 350 motor, down tube, engine cradle, and headset (with the vin #) and hacking the rest of it off. The hard part for me so far is figuring out where to get some 26" rims and long enough spokes to lace them to the stock XL hubs... I've been playing with Sketchup for my modeling, but WOW- scuba, yours will look great. Might have to swing by and take a look at it next time we're up in the great white north!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Thanks for that idea, dorkpunch! I may try that to get my gas motorized bike registered as a moped in TX. Now I just need to learn to weld!