racing carb q's

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
i see these huge new racing carbs and i hear a rumor that all new kits come with one...i have one of the old black plastic carbs and i was wondering if the new racing carbs were actually any better or worth any more...is there really a huge performance increase?could i just buy one and mount it on my old kit?can anyone fine one under $60? thanks all

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
increased fuel efficiency? you mean i can go 120miles instead of 110? lordy, what will they think of next?

you can probably get more or less the same results by match-porting your intake and exhaust.

if you want a performance carb, go with a mikuni or a dellorto. not too much of a price diff, but performance wise, huge. (so i'm told.)

a cheap china carb like the one from zoom, that costs half as much as a new motor sounds pretty lame to me.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Well mine did not cost that much .but i do like the way you can tune it a little more than the stock carb. It worked well for me. If where more than 50$ i would not have bought it. There are other things you can do to increase performance, but this is a bolt on and ride upgrade ,just like a expansion chamber or a slant head ,easy upgrades .If you want to really get into the engine yes porting would probably be the best cheapest upgrade. Oh and my mpg went down i little.Not much. Here is the dellorto .SHA 16.16 Cable Choke [D0-2150] - $63.18 : Dellorto Carburetors, And parts for you.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
man, their site took forever to load....

i know there's a dellorto look-alike out there for half the price of the real one, but i can't find it right now. rock solid in australia has them, but i know you can get them cheap through moped shops.

i'll search for it later, i want some beers now.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Not knockin anyone but i have a new grubee 48cc motor i broke it in on the NT carb then switched to the cns, grubee, Addon (Dellorto knockoff) whateva ya wanna call it, all the same carby.

I paid $60 AUD im happy and supprised that its cheaper hear in oz!

Anyway i have ported in the past (this 1 just matched) but never has a port job increased low end
torque like 1 of these babies.
Also on the ports, this Grubee motor has much bigger ports than any motor ive had before.
Maybe slower top speed as with the NT but the torque is awesome and would run rings around my old NT setup.

Fuel consumption is up not down.

Dont knock it till ya try it! 99% of what most of us are dealin with is cheap china crap.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The additional adjustability is a welcome feature, but I was just being a smart azz and asking about the "racing" part of it. :)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
There's two carbs in question here I believe, and I think spookytooth has the best information on both, although they are both out of stock now.

the racing carbs beren around for awhile- at least I first saw it last summer- and it's the more expensive- I personally wish they'd leave off the choke cable and lever, and then they could also not ship a new twist grip, unless the cable is different or something-

if I could get the body by itself a little cheaper, I'd have probably tried to get one already- everyone has carb problems-

On the other hand, is the new NTS carb, and I think it'll eventually start shipping with newer kits as old stock diminishes- so caveat emptor- "let the buyer beware".

It claims ports 3mm larger, a larger slide barrel, and a larger main jet- the float bowl at the bottom appears about the same.

They are saying the older carb was designed for the 49cc motore and now these new ones are for the 66.

Attachments

Last edited:

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
so if theyre made for 49ccs and put on 66s there must be huge strain...maybe this carb isnt a bad buy....they will eventually come with the kits tho and at 50$ or more just for the carb i think id be better off just waiting till they come with it andbuying an entirely new kit!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Actually some of the retail outlets here are seling the newer NTS carb for $25-30 plus shipping, so if you have any need to replace an older one, it's not much more than a new older one would run.

You can still bore out the ports on your old one a little bit, and ream the main jet a touch....

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
That brings up a question I have- just how DOES one post a link here; I've tried to copy them into my clipboard and it seems to use up waaay too much memory. Is there something wrong with my computer, or does copying the page address just take some other function, or must it just be typed manually. ???

I suspect not.

anyway, just find them at spookytooth and zoombicycles, piratecycles and pistonbikes under "parts" until then.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Far out! So here are the others (and repeating one earlier):

Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - CNS Carburetor for Motorized Bicycles

Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - New Style 66cc NT Carburetor

Motorized Bicycle Carburetor

Here's my bike now with 27" front wheel and Campy front brake- Really great brake, better than cantilever! And the bike really rolls well now- almost a regular natural pedal.

Also- the red Schwinn World traveler, now under construction!

Attachments

Last edited: