Dax Titan Using Bmp

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Here is what I ordered and received from BMP . Quality looks good, install with the right bike should be simple. Once installed, I will test and post a review. Enjoy the ride...

Attachments

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Ok... Install done. Only took me around 2.5 hrs. It was a snap. This is by far the easiest install ever! It is super easy. The bike I chose is a Specialized Cross Roads Hybrid with 700c tires. I got it at the thrift store for 20 bucks. This is a high Quality bike to be sure. Top Shelf ! The Install was a piece of cake !! I mean it. Also.. I decided to install and try a thumb throttle. For some reason, I do not like it. Tires my thumb. I do like the paddle type like the one on my snow mobile much better. The Thumb throttle on my sisters ATV seems ok. But.. For some reason I do not like it on my bike. The Twisty Throttle is the better way to go. Also.. A rear mounted kick stand is a must with this Kit since the Engine does hang to the side. The Titan Rear Carrier mount you can get away with no rear mount kick stand but I recommend a rear stand for it as well. In case someone hits the bike... But on this BMP setup, Since the motor hangs off to the side, it requires a rear mount stand for sure. This BMP kit is the 1.25 inch roller with the sprag. Again.. Not to be redundant, but, install was a snap.. I meant it. Went together fast and easy. In less than 3 hrs I am riding... The setup works great !! I do not notice much the weight hanging off to the side when riding. Power is good. Speed must be 30 + mph. I visibly notice my engine leaning or tilting to the rear a little. You can see that it tilts or leans in the full picture of the bike.I will study it tomorrow and see if I can level it more. It would look better. I may move the bracket under the bike and put the strap on top and bolt it that way. That should level the setup when it it down and pinched against the tire. But.. For a first install, it went well. Was easy and no surprises. O yes. You need the 72 inch throttle cable so it will reach. I will level the engine and get some show room pics tomorrow to post. All in all. If you are in the market for a Friction drive, this BMP kit seems really good. Keep in mind, I only have 10 miles on my setup. More testing to come. What a simple install. Titan mounted right up. And.. Away you go !! I have never seen an easier install. Ever.. This one is simple for sure... That is a plus !! Enjoy the ride and the pics..

Attachments

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
ok.. I know it is late. But I went back to the shop and leveled the motor. More level anyway. Not perfect, but darn good. Also, I realized I had shot carb cleaner down my throttle cable instead of PB lube. So..... I found the correct can, and lubed my throttle cable. and.. It works much better. The Thumb Throttle is pretty good actually. Not bad. I still feel better with the twist throttle since having my thumb wrapped around a grip always gives me more security. But.. The Thumb throttle works pretty well and I can see that in some applications it would be the choice for some. So.. I think I may start stocking them. They do work well. As for the BMP with Titan .. Well.. I must admit. The Titan Motor I am using was a customer Return motor. Customer complained about the idle or that the motor would just go dead for no reason. So.. I sent him a new one. So.. I have this one. I mounted it to the BMP, oiled it, gassed it, and rooooommm. Started right up. Took off with Titan and BMP.. After about 5 miles.. It stalled. I choked it.. It started.. Half Choked.. Rode it home.. Pulled the Slow jet and cleaned it out. Leveled the Motor, reinstalled the Slow Jet and o ring. Started right up.. and I took off for a Gas station. Just before I got to the gas station. Same thing.. Motor Died climbing the hill . I was puzzled. I pulled the fuel line off of the carb.. And fuel peed out at a slow rate, then a trickle, and then it stopped. I un screwed the Gas cap and... Wow!! A gusher !!! The Gas cap was not venting !! So.. I left the cap lose, rode home and pulled the cap off. I tried to blow through the little rubber cap with no joy. I could see where the pin hole in the rubber molded cap should be, but it was not all the way through. So I snipped it with a pair of dikes. And .. Problem solved. and so.. I was able to rack up at least 30 miles this evening! And what a joy !! The Titan is running superb !! Must be the cool temps and humidity. But this Titan is making power !! It must have been flying well over 30. This BMP kit is great !! I love the sprag pinch roller. Everything is tight !! Power is excellent !! The Quality of this BMP is really good. I am curious to see how long the rear tire will last, as well as the friction sprag roller. But I must say.. This is a really really good kit from BMP. Does anyone have one with a lot of miles? My first 30 miles have been a blast !! To have something this good that is so easy to install. It is pure joy !! It climbs well, and is really fast. And this Titan motor seems to be a super motor. I will hate selling this one once I am done testing. This Diamond Back Hybrid is also a superb bike. It has all the good stuff. It handles great and stops on a dime. I have been having a blast this evening. It is now almost 2am. I will go for another ride. I will get pictures tomorrow in the light so all can see. Titan XC with BMP. A superb setup for sure. I am lovin it !! Enjoy the ride..

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Perfect example of the KISS principle! Nice clean install too, with say $180.00 for the motor and $130 for the install kit you've got a sweet setup. Personally I like the butterfly throttle because it lets me keep my wrist in comfortable position at all times vs having to twist my wrist and keep it in a downward position for a length of time.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
ok.. Here she is in daylight .. Looking good !! This is one great ride.. Install time only 2.5 hrs for rookies, 1 hr install for next time around. No kidding. Easy install is right ! Please do not drool on your PC. She is a beauty.. Yes she is fast !! Very fast !! Titan XC makes any bike fast. Total weight of bike and Kit is only around 55lbs. No kidding. Several cool features about this kit which includes ease of install and that is, you can raise and lower the mount via quick release lever. This will lift the Pinch roller off of the wheel and allow for True Bike Pedaling with no parasitic loss at all. I am using the 1.25 Sprag Pinch roller. This allows for Free Wheeling when letting off throttle. Very cool. And being that it is a 1.25 larger Dia, it makes more speed while retaining good power up the hills. Total Cost of this awesome system complete is only 350 bucks ! Do I see gloves on the seat? Yes.. You do.. That means.. I am off and riding !! Got to get my fix !! O yes !!!

Attachments

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
That looks like the ticket !

Start off with a good bicycle that fits you and is fun and easy to ride with no motor.

Add the Titan with the friction drive and that may be the biggest bang for the buck in motorized bikes ! cvlt1

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dax, Nice Thread. Do You Think His 1 1/2" Roller Would Work With The Titan? I Think I Wll Order One, And Use It With 1 Of The Titans I Bought From You. Ron . cvlt1

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
hi.. I did not know about the 1.5 inch roller. I will have to check it out. The 1.5 incher would be for flat landers. but then again. I am 6000-9000 feet up. My Tests and gearing is high altitude with canyons and mountains. I can tell you, the 1.25 is what I am running, and for some of the bigger hills, a 1.5 would be too tall and cause excessive clutch wear. But for flats, it may be fine. I do like the 1.25 for around town. For pulling and canyon runs, the 1 would be the way to go. . O yes.. Enjoy the ride..

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
That engine did have great power right off the bat, even before it was broken-in. I knew it was something with the venting because every time it stalled I'd open the cap and it would fire right up again. I thought about making a bigger hole in the rubber piece but didn't want to end up leaking fuel all over everything.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Buddy.. Was that your motor? She is a runner .. Wow !! I am glad I found the problem. When or if it happens again to someone else, I now know what to say. Sure was a simple fix once found. Now I know the symptoms. This is the first time it has happened on a Titan. Sorry for all the trouble of sending it back to me. I hope all is well now. I can tell you, it really runs well and this BMP is a blast. The Friction kits are great on fair weather rides and dry tires. That is the only draw back to friction kits are wet tires. Even with wet tires, you can still throttle home, you just have to go easy on the throttle so it does not slip. I have around 50 miles now on my Titan with BMP. What an easy install. Enjoy the ride...cvlt1

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Went for my first wet weather ride. In preparation for the ride, I put extra pressure on the pinch roller and then clamped it down. Tires are 700c hybrids running 75psi. I looked at my rear tire at the pinch roller, and it is squishing the tire pretty good. I took off. My legs, back, butt, bike, tires, Titan, BMP and everything got thoroughly wet. I noticed no slipping at all. I weigh 175lbs, and was not pulling a trailer or load . Again. It pulled well with no noticeable slippage under full throttle pulls. At full speed I became more concerned about my tires slipping on the pavement and me wiping out around the corners . The Water was Flying. I was flying! Speed addict you know. So.. My supposition being purely anecdotal would be that the reason I had no slippage with thoroughly soaked tires was because.. 1- I am using the larger 1.25 sprag roller, 2- Extra pressure on roller and tire, 3- Pinch roller is new and has lots of tiny teeth, 4- Not pulling any Trailer with loads.
Since the 1.25 roller is a larger dia than the 1 inch, the 1.25 provides more contact area with the tire and also has less torque applied to the tire. Putting extra pressure on the roller also puts the roller in more contact with the tire. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised there was no slippage using the parameters described above. I have a 1 inch roller coming and I will test it. I want to see what happens in the wet with this roller and also how easy it will be to switch rollers. A 1 inch roller would be what is needed to pull a trailer and load up bigger hills. I must say, I am impressed with this BMP with 1.25 inch sprag roller. Enjoy the ride...

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Got a chance to check out Duane's claims today. Let me tell you, if he's able to make this kit available to the masses it will be a solid winner. I've never been a friction drive fan; there's just too much that looks good about an in-frame 2 stroker but this BMP kit was a pleasure to ride. One aspect that I was concerned with was the weight hanging off the side. I was certain I'd feel it and have to compensate for the unbalanced feel. This WAS NOT the case. I could not discern the 12 pound Titan and I'm a lightweight, tipping the scales at a little over 140, soaking wet. The smooth acceleration and quietness of the 4 stroke really makes itself known on this build. All the noise, what little there is of it, is behind you. It was almost as if I was riding a pedal bike but when you needed the extra kick it only took a little thumb pressure against the throttle to let me know there was power there to get me up a hill or cruise at an effortless 25 to 30mph. The jury is still out on tire wear but Duane is going to put some miles on this puppy and see what kind of life to expect from the rear tire. Him and I agree that a smooth tire verses a knobby will give a more pleasurable ride. Because of the extra weight on the left a double kickstand is a must and I'd personally rather have a twist grip throttle as opposed to the thumb lever but those are minor things. The install, as Duane has noted, would be a couple of hour job even for someone with limited mechanical ability. Three bolts, two screws is all it takes to mount the rack and roller drive. Four more to attach the engine to the drive and a throttle and you're done. Slick, very very slick.
Good luck, Duane. I hope to see the BMP kit available soon on thatsdax.com.
Tom

Attachments

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. I have a bit of bad news.. Shortly after 2doors , and a few neighbors riding my Titan with BMP, on the way to my dads house, the Bell Housing on the BMP let go. See pictures. As you can see in the pictures, the weld was a delicate and shallow one. As you can see by the rust all the way around, the weld was very very shallow. It may be some kind of Electric Tack welding. But I am not sure. This appears to be a weak point . I removed the motor which was easy. Next I will remove the bracket. I will dress the Clutch Bell and then using my wire feed welder, put the proper weld on the the Clutch bell so it will stay on the Roller Shaft !! Since this is my first BMP kit, I can not say that they all have these shallow welds. I will have to in form James at BMP about this. This is a critical part. Not everyone has a wire feed welder to upgrade the weld on this part. See Pictures in the next post. At any rate, it was nice that I was able to lift the roller off of my tire and pedal home easily. It may be that I just happened to get a BMP kit, one with a shallow weld. I ordered 2 more, I am hoping they will have the clutch bell better attached than this one. So I will know soon. IF not, I will run a bead on them prior to install. MY BMP will be fixed and back on the road in a Jiffy !! Total miles around 50 so far. Enjoy the ride.. humm.. I can not get attachments to load...

Last edited:

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Yeah, I'm the one. The thing that always puzzled me was I'd think the gas tank would build up pressure when riding out in the sun with the gas sloshing around, not get a vacuum. Take a gas can out in the sun and it will bulge in no time. How it ended up with a vacuum in the tank always seemed weird. I used to reach back when it would sputter and loosen the tank cap and away it would go. Reaching back while riding on the roads around here isn't exactly something I want to do all the time though.

I broke it in for you anyway. That engine was a runner right from the start. It would climb the hills around here even at low RPMs, even gain speed on all but the steepest hills and there's some pretty steep hills here, although probably not as steep as where you are.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
ok.. Well.. I dressed up the Clutch bell by putting an angle grind which allowed me to fill the angled gap with rod. Welded right up. I made sure I had a ton of cold water to spray on to the Clutch bell and Sprag axle to cool it in a hurry after my weld. I did not want to cook the Sprag or bearings and fix one problem just to cause others. In less than an hour, I am back on the road. If it breaks now, I only have me to blame. At any rate, I am back on the road. I have put 4 or 5 miles on it. I will now report back to the shop to install a headlight and tail light so that I can do some legal night riding. Enjoy the ride...

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Here is my latest build With Titan and FD friction drive BMP. Painted the motor cover silver to match the bike. Top speed so far has been 31.1mph. Cruise is a solid 25mph. I am using the 1.25 inch roller on this setup as well. Had to drill my support bracket out to M6 size. The BMP comes with M5 holes. This is the typical size for most bike drop outs, but this Schwinn has M6 which is slightly larger. Not a big deal. Not sure why but BMP forget to send me my M5 bolts for this, even though I can not use them for this bike anyway. But I ordered and got 2 kits and will most likely need them for my next build to test. I will have to check my bucket for some M5's. Not a big deal for me. Also welded up the bell before install. Yes.. I know my weld started out cold, but it holds well. I am not the best welder, but it has good penetration and it is strong. I have 60 miles on this setup and no problems at all. As you can see in one of the pics, the weld I had to make to put my bell back onto the Pinch roller shaft on my other build. I was proactive and performed this weld on this Silver Schwinn as well.. You can see the circular scrape from when it broke and the clutch pack began to chew away at the bell. I was able to lift the motor and pedal home. A nice feature for sure. All in all it is going well. Also.. I am getting around 120mpg city. The Titan sure is powerful, smooth and quiet. Enjoy the ride...

Attachments

Last edited: