Tail dragger trailer from push scooter

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I needed a trailer that would fit in the bike lane and my kids were too old for their push scooters; a perfect storm. Using some metal straps from a shelving kit, mounted the rear of the scooter to my rear axle. I had to mount the scooter wheel to the scooter fork in a trailing fashion, so that it could swivel during turns, instead of skipping.
The tail dragger rides good at 20 mph so far, despite using an airless elastomer wheel. Next is bolting on a subframe to allow me to carry some groceries.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I attached a basket to the trailer with a couple of pieces of aluminum window screen framing. The trailer will now haul a 5 gallon gas can. (I could only fit a 2 gallon can on my cargo reck)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
WB, I wanted to say "Dang, thats cool" but every body already said it. But dang thats cool.

How is it going over bumps?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My push trailer electric bike is pretty similar and uses the rear wheel of a 12" scooter. I like that yours uses the fork so that you get movement.

Actually I like everything about yours. Very good idea and very well done. I will have to keep that in mind next time I see a push scooter at the goodwill. What you have done would make an excellent battery trailer for my hub motor.

congrats on a job well done.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Cabinfever has a point. If I hadn't already had the scooter and other items taking up space in my garage, I would have opted for something simpler.

CDNBiker

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
I like it - I was working on something similar but got distracted by some time wasting activity called a job. You have inspired me to get it finished. The scooter I have is a kids electric so you know where this is headed...

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I like it - I was working on something similar but got distracted by some time wasting activity called a job. You have inspired me to get it finished. The scooter I have is a kids electric so you know where this is headed...
I have dabbled with electric early last year. I bought and chopped up about 4-5 electric scooters (the 24v kind) and fixed and sold a few to pay for the hobby a bit. I weigh 200-210 and should perhaps be 150.. anyway.. the electric did little to push me for long with one motor so I added. Pictures would tell a better story but I neglect to take any. Anyway try chopping the scooter in half and welding to that. The motor and chain are already lined up and mounted. Change the dingy battery out for a better battery.. I used deep cycle blems and re charge them with solar cells. I like solar and think people are full of it on the radio that bash solar tech.. I recommend all of you get some. We like neat stuff that works or we would'nt be here. There is a reason wally world does not sell them.. Corporate interest.. Duhhh.. They never even tried! Dump a couple grand in some panels and batteries.. You will be shocked at what you can run all night. Get it shocked...

laff laff laff laff

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had some stability problems while hauling 4 gallons of gas, so I added a second wheel.
Realizing that I had no safety strap in case of a broken bolt, I made one from shoulder strap from a cargo bag.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I had some stability problems while hauling 4 gallons of gas, so I added a second wheel.
Realizing that I had no safety strap in case of a broken bolt, I made one from shoulder strap from a cargo bag.

If anything you have my vote! Looks great. Let us know in a few weeks how it's holding up.. Cheers!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It will be a little while before I can test my trailer stability mods because my clutch will not release. I can still ride to work without a clutch release, but I need to be able to ride smoothly with a trailer attached.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
one of my trailers similar to the one in my avatar totally flipped after hitting a pothole on a turn.. Fruit and books went a flying. I am having issues with gravity. The wheels are so strong being 26" that the weight is up too high. Oh well. I think I have to build a "floorpan" or something that sinks low half way to the ground. The thing pulls better than most of my others.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
one of my trailers similar to the one in my avatar totally flipped after hitting a pothole on a turn.. Fruit and books went a flying. I am having issues with gravity. The wheels are so strong being 26" that the weight is up too high. Oh well. I think I have to build a "floorpan" or something that sinks low half way to the ground. The thing pulls better than most of my others.
Hey I can quote mice-elf..

I figure all would be better if the wheels were wider apart but that might encroach too much on traffic. dance1 .bf.